September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

July 21st, 2018 Feeling, letting go, reaching out....


In 5 weeks my daughters go back to college... I realized that part of my depression was about not letting myself feel sadness, giving myself time and space to feel change... I've been a mom for 23 years, and I'm really proud of my daughters - the wonderful young adults they're becoming... I enjoy their company, and it's exciting to see them discovering themselves.

I love being a mom - even when it's difficult, I'm in my element... I'm also sad that they're growing up... I miss them needing me the way they used to... I know they still need me, but it's changed, changing, and change is hard... I was a stay-at-home mom (I eventually worked part-time out of the house)... I don't really want to hold them still in time, and yet I want to hold on to each moment.  More change is coming, because that's part of life.

So I've been thinking about the concept of goals - and what is achievable for me.  Given my disorders, I can't wait for an opportunity to float out of the sky for me... I need to be proactive.

I'm interested in advocacy - I've learned a lot about vestibular and vision disorders. I talked a bit with Ann (VT), who's going to talk to Dr. Margolis (developmental optometrist)... I also posted in the ambassador group on Facebook to Cassey, our liaison with the vestibular disorders Association - VeDA, that I want to talk to her. 

I can't do - both because of the vestibular and vision issues - a lot on the computer... maybe I can continue to improve with phone conversations, and maybe I can somehow work on in-person stuff.


I really don't know what's realistic for me - energy/pacing, sensory stimulation, are just some of what I need to take into consideration... I know from multiple experiences I've had that my system is sensitive - I need to honor that, and I know that stress makes people more vulnerable to illness.  I ALSO know I'm slowly getting stronger.

It can be hard to figure out the difference between my PTSD Anxiety kicking in vs. real limitations, but I think as I'm trying to do more, I'm starting to figure that out better.  I also remind myself that the whole point of doing my therapies is to improve the quality of my life. 

So I want to let myself feel, AND I want to try to figure out what social stuff I can work towards.  The feelers I put out to Ann, and Cassey are good steps... I'm reaching out, and that's good.  I'm proud of myself that I can acknowledge that it's good.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.