September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

April 27th 2016 Learning to carry loss...

To listen: Copy and paste into Google Translate, click the "speaker" icon.

Loss isn't only the death of a loved one; it is felt due to many different circumstances.  I've been learning a lot about loss in the process of coming to terms with my vestibular and vision disorders.  I'm not going to get to a point at which I'll be done dealing with the loss;  I will, I believe, get to a point at which my sense of loss is less intense.  I was entering my 50's when I got sick, which means I'd already done a lot of living, and I can't shut out the memories of what I used to be able to do.  I don't think that would be healthy.  Shutting out the memories would be forgetting all those years, and in any case, isn't possible.  So I need to learn, even as I do my best despite frustrations, to move forward, to carry those memories.

I listened to an article once about carrying losses with us.  The hard part is to be able to carry our losses, to HAVE them become a part of us, but not  dominate our lives.  I don't want my loss, and inherent sadness, to weigh me down.  I know I need to allow moments when I feel my grief, but I don't want those moments to disable me.  I don't want to feel like I'm lost in my emotions. I find this all, at times, easier said than done.  Loss has a way of creeping up unexpectedly. 

I attended Kol Hadash Humanistic Congregation's Seder at Bluegrass Restaurant.  Over all it was a positive experience, and I'm glad I went.  There were moments, however, when I was reminded of the loss of what my life used to be.  Like when I sat at the Seder and remembered that I wouldn't actually read the Haggadah - for that matter, I didn't want it in front of me.  It's really just a distraction.  I wouldn't read along, and sometimes I chose not to sing, because with everything I was processing, and all the noises of everyone else, I didn't want to also have the resonance of my own voice in my head.

I've also been thinking about dealing with loss as time moves on, and my younger daughter's high school graduation comes closer.  Having both daughters in college does not, in my case, mean I will be moving on professionally, or traveling.  So I feel the loss more keenly.  Kids are supposed to grow up, and move on.  And yes, I'm fully aware that I'll still be Cara's mom (just as I'm still her sister Leena's mom), that both my daughters will still need me.  But Cara in college is still change, still a loss that feels more profound for me because of my limitations.

I think that article was right.  Loss needs to be carried, needs to become a part of ourselves, like all of our life experiences.  So how do I learn to do this? I write about it, both in this blog, and in private journaling.  I talk about it with my psychologist.  Sometimes my flute playing is an outlet, while other times I try to use it as a distraction.  I listen to music.  I try to think about - and listen to - other things, issues that are not about me, to try to get outside of my own head.  In truth, I'm still figuring out the "how."  Sometimes my loss, my grief will sneak up on me, and I will need to simply feel sad.  Other times will be more expected; something will happen that I know will stir my emotions.  I'll have to take it as it comes; accept and allow myself to have difficult moments, or even days, but always, always do my best to move through my grief, keep moving. 


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to April 27th 2016 Learning to carry loss...

  1. Very moving and I identify with this in many ways. I believe those of us dealing & living with any invisible illness, follow the course of Kubla Ross's 'Stages of Grieving on Death and Dieing', if you think about it. A part of us HAS died! So we must grieve the death of that piece of us that suddenly left us, or withered us to death...my career that I loved fell by the wayside in 2007, and I still grieve it. Well done Tamar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, thank you so much, and thank you for sharing... I agree re the stages of grief - absolutely... BTW, if you see this reply, would you mind letting me know? May sound silly, but I never know if people see my replies... :-) I'd appreciate it... thanks again for your kind words

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.