September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

April 5th, 2016 Taking stock; improvements, paying attention to the positive....

To listen: copy and paste into Google Translate, click the "speaker" icon

I've been feeling the weight of my invisible disorders - MAV and vision - lately, and wishing I could improve, make progress just a bit faster.   As important as it is for me to focus on the positive, sometimes it's really hard to DO that.  I decided, in light of this, that it would be a good time to remind myself of some things I can do, any improvements I've made.  The last time I did this was at the end of July, and eight months is enough time to see what's going on.

Some of the items on this list may surprise people - surprise them that I'd put them on this list - but I'm doing it because I want people to understand some of the challenges, and ways in which I mark progress.

Finally, some of what I list here are areas I am still working on, but I am trying to focus on improvements or accomplishments.

1) I recovered from a set-back... this definitely counts as an accomplishment.

2) I'm doing more therapy at home. 

Some of the exercises were begun as a result of my set-back, to help me to recover, but regardless of the reason, it's good.  I keep doing them in order to continue to improve, and on the theory that my efforts will help prevent another significant setback.

3) When I do something challenging, sometimes my recovery is faster - that's positive.

4) I can turn my head from side to side more easily, and in general, head movements are getting a bit easier.

5) I can sit for longer periods of time with my eyes closed.

6) I am back to playing my flute more than once a day.

7) I can listen to more music, more songs.

8) I am able to do some private messaging on FB.

9) I am slowly improving with some multitasking - for example, washing a pot while waiting for something to cook on the stove.

10) I wear my glasses more while on the computer.

I noted recently when I was feeling tense, that acknowledging the tension was what allowed me to move through it.  Some of my tension comes, I think, from wanting to do things, meet my responsibilities, and basically ignore my vision and MAV disorders.  Wanting doesn't make it so, and ignoring my reality doesn't work.  Ultimately there's a balance in allowing myself to feel, giving space for my emotions, but not completely succumbing to my sadness and frustration.  Recognizing the negatives is necessary; what I can't do, or feeling badly because I think I'm letting someone down by not being able to do something.  But recognizing anything positive is necessary as well. 

So I took a look at the calendar for the month of April.  Due to the holiday of Passover, I've got a couple bigger events - our congregation's annual Passover Seder, my mother's Passover Seder - to attend.  I will also have the opportunity to see my younger daughter's artwork on display at one of our park district facilities.  I'm going to a Youth Education Comm. meeting, which will also be attended by members of the Membership Comm.  All of these events are opportunities for social connections, and the YEC meeting is a chance to contribute.  I'll also hopefully have a chance to talk to a couple friends by phone. 

Finally, I'll listen to music every day, play my flute, write, listen to audio material, and enjoy walking our dog in lovely weather (when we get it).  My life has changed radically, and sometimes it's not the big picture (events like a Seder), but rather the little ones, as I keep moving through each day, that matter. 




Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.