September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

April 12th 2016 Gathering info, gearing up for Balance Awareness Week ...

To listen: Copy and paste into Google Translate, click the "speaker" icon.

The Vestibular Disorders Association - VEDA - is starting to gear up for Balance Awareness Week in September.  As most of you know, I'm on the patient advisory board, known as the Ambassadors - David Morrill is our terrific Chairperson.  We want this BAW to be really effective in helping to raise awareness, and educate the public about these invisible disorders.  We also want to know what YOU - patients or family/friends of patients - are looking for from BAW. 

So I'm asking my readers for input; what you'd look at/click through, and what you'd be likely to SHARE.

I'll go first :-) 

Articles - I listen to articles that are either informative (i.e. new research, explanatory), or realistic but also encouraging.  Preferably the info is concise; bullet points are good, as are headings (especially if it's info rather than a personal story).  It's great when I'm learning info I couldn't otherwise easily access, especially since due to my vision disorder, I can't do much research on my own. 

I've learned a fair amount re vision, which seems to be more straightforward than MAV, and I'm always happy to share.  Prior to my disorder, I knew and understood very little about vision, so I like being able to pass on info about the connection between vision and balance. I think there's still a lot that isn't known or understood re MAV, but I'd like to know about whatever info IS available.   I'd love to be able to share more about this with my readers. 

Videos - I'm also always happy to find well-done, informative videos - I may not actually WATCH everything in a video, but I learn from listening.  Videos are definitely something to share.  Videos with music that are motivating and/or inspiring are always good.

Info graphics - I'm selective re info graphics - I want well presented info, that isn't visually confusing.  I would definitely share good ones.

Other patients - I like to hear from others who suffer from vestibular disorders, especially if they have a combo Dx like me.  I want to know practical, problem solving approaches/ways they manage their lives.

I'm not too interested in hearing from celebrities, unless they're really forthcoming and honest.  A well informed doctor can be helpful.

Support - Finally, getting support from people who understand is important.  Even though all these disorders/combos of disorders have individual twists and turns to them, everyone seems to have a basic understanding.  Many of us deal with, or have dealt with, similar issues. 

Now it's your turn -

What is your preferred format -
Videos?
Info graphics?
Articles?
Who do you want to hear from - medical profs - and if yes to this, what kind?

Do you get something out of hearing the story of someone with an illness, what happened to them, and how they are coping? Do you need the story to be one you can relate to, or does that not matter? 

Do you really mainly want info, and if so, what kind?

If any of you are not comfortable, for any reason, sharing answers as a comment, please private message Visible Person, Invisible Problem. 

SHARING - Last but definitely NOT least, what are you most likely to SHARE, to promote? 

In addition to helping people who have these invisible disorders, the purpose of BAW is to raise awareness and get info out to the public.  Have any of you shared anything and gotten good feedback?  Do you feel people are receptive? 


I look forward to getting feedback, as I plan to share it with the folks at VEDA.  You'll be helping to make BAW a success!  Thank you!!

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to April 12th 2016 Gathering info, gearing up for Balance Awareness Week ...

  1. Hi Tamar! VEDA Ambassador from Texas! I think well done Videos are great. I also like written information for referral purposes. Yes, I have shared with family and previous coworkers (fellow Therapists no less) with lukewarm results...people seem to think they will 'catch' it! I am looking for a Community Health Fair locally. I blog about my life, so I am an open book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret thank you for your feedback - really appreciate it :-) .... what is your blog called? Not sure I've seen it...

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.