September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

June 7th 2015 Getting people's attention, thinking about other's experiences....

Note:  Use Google Translate to listen to this if needed

It's hard for people to "get" something when their own experiences aren't really that similar.  This "getting it," or understanding, or lack thereof, can come through in really small ways.  I've been thinking about this for a number of reasons, one being that I finished listening to Amy Poehler's book "Yes, Please" recently.  There were a couple things that really stuck out to me, and it also got me thinking about how celebrities can bring a great deal of attention to various issues.   How things like catchy slogans or gimmicks (for lack of a better word) - like the ice bucket challenge for ALS - can raise large sums of money.

I thought that though Amy Poehler recognizes how lucky she is, and appreciates what she has achieved, there was something a bit insular in general about her outlook.   This really came through at the end of her book, when she writes about technology.  She talks about how people (herself included) are addicted to things like smartphones, e-mail, etc.  This is her experience with technology, and she completely overlooks the ways in which technology helps people.  For example, allowing people - like myself - who are limited in terms of what they can DO, to connect with people online.  I'm not saying she should have focused on that, but she doesn't even mention how technology can make a real difference in people's lives, and I suspect she's not the only one who doesn't think about this.

This lack of reaching outside of your own experience, hearing what someone else is dealing with, frustrates me.  My invisible disorders make me sensitive to issues that I think some people don't spend much time thinking about.  I've experienced, in small ways, other people not "getting" something because it's beyond their own experience.  I know it's difficult to imagine being in someone else's shoes, but it's also really important to try to do just that, or to acknowledge you really DON'T know what something is like.

I know people don't always want to put in the effort to think about others.  Sometimes I'm not in the mood to think about other people's situations.  I'm very into myself, and I really don't want to hear about someone else's news, good or bad.  I'm guessing that most people with chronic health conditions (and some who don't) feel this way; have times when they're not up for hearing about someone else's life.  And some things are easier for people to think about than others.  I think my MAV is a bit easier to grasp in some ways, although no two people's experiences are identical.  My vision disorder is definitely harder for people to "get"; many people don't understand the complexity of vision. 

Which brings me to my point about celebrities and raising money.   Celebrities - people who are high profile - can have a truly magic touch in bringing attention to an issue where it is sorely needed.  This has happened numerous times.  While there have been a few celebrities who have given an occasional interview about their vestibular disorder - Kristen Chenoweth and Ryan Adams come to mind - to my knowledge there hasn't been anyone who has really held the public's attention. 

I feel jealous when I hear about the ice bucket challenge, or a celebrity who is blowing the door wide open about a particular issue.  It would be so absolutely wonderful to have someone do the same thing for vestibular and vision disorders.  Vision is so intricately connected with balance; a discussion of balance isn't complete without including vision.  So it makes sense to me to pair vision with the vestibular system, in terms of bringing both into the light of awareness.

September brings VEDA's Balance Awareness Week, and I'm hopeful that it will be successful.  If you don't have a particular person who can get everyone's attention, I think it really does take an organized effort to create change.  Unfortunately, I haven't found such an organization for non-disease related vision problems for adults.  So I will keep posting what info I find that helps bring awareness about the complexity of vision.  How important vision is for processing all the sensory input in the world around us, and how integral vision is for balance. 

I believe there's a growing awareness about health issues in general, and people like myself with invisible disorders need to advocate for this awareness.  Because then there can be understanding and hopefully learning, and money for research that provides answers.  I don't believe that doing this advocacy, or being on the Ambassadors Board of VEDA is why I got invisible disorders, nor why anyone else did, for that matter.   But it's definitely good to feel like I can, through sharing my journey, offer hope and make a difference towards building awareness.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.