September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

May 19th 2015 Finding, noticing good moments is important

Life changes for many people in a variety of ways when they have invisible disorders.   Most of us have to deal at times with some degree of depression and/or anxiety.  I think this makes it even more important to still  find joy, purpose, ways to feel productive.  Being able to do basic daily living tasks is very good, but I don't think it's enough.  Ultimately, I believe there needs to be more.  Although what may feel like a huge goal may be different now, I DON'T mean that you have to set a whole bunch of huge goals for yourself.  The same can be said for what feels amazing - even if what qualifies to you as amazing may have changed, your days don't need to be filled with amazing things.  Achieving something really big is wonderful, but I mean that taking pleasure in small joys is important.  I mean that even a few minutes of something good everyday makes a difference.

I really do believe that everyone can find something.  I joined VEDA's Ambassador Board in order to help spread awareness, but there was a more selfish reason as well.  I was able to get connected to some terrific people - among them David Morrill, who does an outstanding job as the Chair of this Board.  He sends out Monthly updates, and I think does a fair amount of behind the scenes work, all of which I know is very meaningful for him.  My FB friend Kim, who is also on the Ambassadors Board, shares posts from her blog site, writing about hiking, and other little nuggets from her life.  My FB friend Fran does some writing which she posts in various groups (she doesn't have a blog), and puts together wonderful, creative miniature gardens.  She posts pictures of them on FB.  I know from messaging her that she really enjoys this creative outlet.    My FB friend Elizabeth is an Admin on Dizzy Daze, and posts all sorts of fun stuff in this group. 

Sometimes you have to get creative about how you do something, or who you do it with, but finding some things that fill you up inside is really important.  I've seen people post about gardening, and sharing special times with their family or friends.  I don't take walks with my dog by myself anymore unless I have to, and I'm up for the challenge, but I've gotten used to that.  Instead of it being alone time for me (which in my former lifestyle was more important), I have company with me now.  And my dog seems to know to behave when I DO go alone.  I'm able to watch movies on an older, small screen TV that we have.  My family knows that I'll need a break in the middle, and what spot I always sit in on our living room couch, because it's easier for me visually.  If the movie is longer than two hours, we watch it over the course of two nights.

I've talked a fair amount about music.  I've started posting music videos regularly on my FB timeline.  I make a point of watching all the way through whatever video I post.  There's SO much available online, no matter what your musical taste ....  you can watch a clip of your favorite artist or group, or an entire concert.  One of the benefits I've noticed about listening to music is that I get songs or melodies running through my head.  For me this is a good thing, because it's a good distraction.  I over-think things sometimes, or get into negative thinking about my situation.  I know that thinking positively is literally good for my health, and music helps me to get back to that. 

I don't play my flute for lengthy periods anymore, nor do I read a lot of sheet music.  Those are both things I'm working on improving, but in the meantime I love playing for a few minutes, a couple of times a day.  I honestly just love the sound of flute music.  And I've accepted that I play very simple melodies... simple can still be lovely.  I've recorded myself a few times on an old cassette recorder I have, just to be able to hear over the course of time, the progress I make.  I also still keep my Progress Log, which is really just a document on my computer.  I put the date, and a sentence or two - nothing lengthy - about something I did.  Sometimes I don't remember to note something, but I think even thinking about something, noticing something for a moment, is good.

A simple thing like wearing cheerful colors, especially on dreary days, can make you feel a bit better.  I recently saw a video clip of the author Elizabeth Gilbert saying that just being outside, and really noticing feeling the sun on her face qualified for her as a good moment.  Sharing a laugh with someone is always a good thing.  Sometimes "sharing" for me means a friends' post I see online, and sometimes it means enjoying something cute or funny that one of our pets does.  Or it could mean something one of my daughters says.  Some people keep gratitude journals, or positive moment journals - I don't do that myself, but if it's helpful for you, then it's a good thing.  I do try really hard to stay in the moment when something good is going on. 


When life presents extra challenging situations, I've learned that you really have to make a conscious effort not to stay stuck, dwelling on the difficult moments.  I don't ignore it, but then I make myself push past it.  I make myself focus on what I can find that's good, that lifts me up, instead of bringing me down.  And again, I really do mean "moment."  Just stopping and noticing something positive is worthwhile.  If I find myself thinking about the future, and worrying, I try to pull myself back to the present.  Everything is really so fleeting, and I truly don't want what ifs about the future to cloud a good moment in the present.  

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.