September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

May 12th 2015 Anniversaries, and writing...

Springtime, and the month of May in particular, is full of markers for me.  My birthday, my wedding anniversary, and Mother's Day.  I can't take much credit for being born, but I feel good about challenges I've met, and I don't ever consider myself to be done growing as a person.  I've learned a lot along the road of 23 years of marriage, and I learn from my two teenage daughters every day.

There are additional anniversaries for me now.  I began Feldenkrais therapy in May of 2012, and I began vision therapy in May of 2013.  While I never could have imagined how much effort rehab would be, I am extraordinarily grateful to work with, and have the support of my medical team.  Joyce (Feldenkrais), Ann, and Dr. Margolis (who supervises my vision therapy) clearly want me to make as much progress as possible.  I feel it whenever I'm with them, in how they work with me, and encourage me. 

Realizing, as I did in my last post, how long I've been doing rehab (and that I'm definitely not done) is a bit hard for me to wrap my head around sometimes.  But rehab is about both the present - daily management and coping, and the future - improving my quality of life.  I know that it's not unusual to be doing this kind of rehab over a period of years.  Ann recently pointed out to me how much better I did doing a vision exercise now, compared to how I'd done it in the very beginning, how far I've come.  I know I'm doing much more with Joyce as well.

I have two more anniversaries - at least to me, both count as an anniversary.  I looked at my Facebook timeline, and saw two important changes from a year ago.  One is that I hardly looked at anything on FB, and seldom posted anything.  I still definitely have limitations, but I am now able to do both.  Just as important, I certainly wasn't private messaging with anyone, and now I am able to, which means I feel more connected.  I have FB friendships with people in far flung places whom I've never met.   I realize this isn't unusual in our internet age, but since my live, in person social activities are limited, online connections are very important to me.   So to be able to use Facebook more is a huge accomplishment for me. 

I also saw when looking at my FB timeline, that my first somewhat lengthier post of my own writing - interestingly about music - was back in April of 2014.  I didn't have this new blog (Visible Person, Invisible Problem), so the post was from my old Journey blog.  The in-between step I took prior to starting my VPIP blog site was to write non-music related posts separately, and share them on FB.  Then one day my FB friend David, Chair of VEDA's newly formed Ambassador Board invited me to join the Ambassadors, and I had an e-mail exchange with David and Cynthia Ryan, the E.D. of VEDA.  I ended up joining the Ambassadors, and that ultimately led me to start my VPIP blog, with technical help from my daughters Leena and Cara. 

Thinking in particular about my writing anniversary got me thinking about what motivates me to write.  There are a number of reasons, but two I really want to share here.  The first reason is that even when I have doubts about whether or not to share a piece I've written, I'm always glad in the end that I did, because I always end up hearing from at least one person.  There's always at least one person who felt my words spoke to them, could relate to what I said, or felt helped and encouraged.  And one person per post adds up!  That feels incredible. 

The other reason is that I want to help create change regarding issues I've written about (such as stigma), and to speak out about what it's like to live with invisible disorders.  I also want to continue to hopefully give a voice to those who are still suffering, who still need answers so they can find the right treatment, which means they need the medical community to pay attention.  I know I'm not reaching everyone - some would say I'm "preaching to the choir" - but if I - and others - don't speak out, then we won't reach anyone. 

Looking back on all my anniversaries, I don't know how long my journey will be, or exactly where I'll end up.  I believe that some of my journey will be ongoing, because it's my life, my experiences.  I also believe I've come far enough to know that rather than focusing on my challenges and frustrations, I need to acknowledge my progress, and I have to remember my own words.  I need to make the choice to be hopeful, and optimistic. 




Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.