September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

May 29th 2015 Figuring things out, putting in the effort

I've been thinking about my goals - what I'm working towards - and actual game plans right now.  Even though not doing the work - not doing the rehab homework - is tempting sometimes, I know if I don't put in the effort towards my goals, in the end that would leave me very frustrated.  This got me thinking about words that I've used, seen, and heard a  lot:  "limitation," and "challenge," or "challenging."  I decided to look them up on Dictionary.com.  
These are some of the definitions I found:

Limitation -
Restrictive weakness, lack of capacity, inability or handicap
Difficulty in a job, or undertaking

Challenge -
a call or summons to engage in any contest, as of skill or strength
a call to battle

Interestingly, the word "challenging" has a very different definition, and is more of a pairing with "limitation" - "challenging" is "offering a challenge, testing one's ability, endurance".

When I look at all these definitions, the ones that jump out at me are "lack of capacity" for limitation, and "testing one's ability, endurance" for challenging.  Lack of capacity means capacity simply isn't there, and I think sometimes for some disorders, that's accurate.  If you don't have the use of a body part (like a leg), that really does qualify as a lack of capacity. However, I think in a lot of situations, this definition of limitation is a bad, outdated one.  There's lots of gray areas with a lot of disorders, many times when I think using the word "diminished" instead of "lack" of capacity would be much better.  Standing, sitting and walking are different for me than they used to be.  My ability to balance myself isn't, and was never completely GONE; I AM able to walk, to sit, to stand. 

The phrase "call to battle" for challenge surprised me, because battle is a strong word.  But in a way, it makes sense.  I think of a call to battle as marshalling the forces, which to me (in terms of my invisible disorders) means gathering up tools, and using those tools to succeed.  In my case, and hopefully those of others, tools can be diet, various therapies, coping mechanisms - basically anything that you use to help you to be successful.  And I definitely think the word challenging is very fitting... your abilities and endurance can be tested, even pushed to the limit.

So there's that word again - limit.  The real issue to me is figuring out when, or if, a limitation really is a stop sign.  When does a limitation require a work around, or acknowledging that something can't be done, and when does it  not?  More importantly, when does a limitation push you to challenge yourself, to say "OK, what tools can I use to move through this?" 

That question brings to mind the following quote from Michael J Fox - if you haven't read his autobiography "Lucky Man," I highly recommend it. 

"Acceptance does not mean resignation.  It means understanding that something is what it is, and there's got to be a way through it." 

I thought about the quote in terms of how I live my life.  For me, this quote means that you don't deny the reality of your situation, but you don't give in to it either.  Saying that there's "a way through it" doesn't mean that you cast aside or ignore your problem.  But you keep moving through life with it, figure out how to still achieve your goals.  I didn't know what limitations I would end up with - none of us ever knows that.  I did sometimes wonder if my Reactive Hypoglycemia would morph into Diabetes.  Instead, I ended up with Migraine Associated Vertigo (MAV) and pronounced Convergence Insufficiency (CI) with complications, invisible disorders I'd never thought about or heard of before. 

I've talked a lot about my Feldenkrais and vision therapies, and my therapists, that I'm grateful to work with good people and to be making progress.  Even with my therapies, I think there's a good chance that I will always have SOME degree of limitations.  I don't think that saying that I'll have limitations, even with all the work I'm doing in my therapies, is "throwing in the towel."  I'm NOT saying exactly what my limitations ultimately will be, that I'm done putting in effort to improve.  Everyone has limitations; maybe mine came a bit sooner than I was expecting, and particularly regarding my vision disorder, not necessarily what I was expecting. 

The other side of some degree of limitation, is challenging myself now, in the present.  The choices I make, the small - sometimes very small - goals I set in order to achieve bigger goals.  This is why rehab is such an integral part of my life.  I talk to my therapists about my goals, and then we take things apart, break down the goals to decide what the pieces are that I need to achieve and how I can achieve them.   I also want to say that I realize not everyone reading this has the answers they need, and/or the treatment they need.  I am always hopeful that that will change for those people, and I hope that sharing what I learn along the way is helpful. 

I don't know if this will always be the case, but I've learned that right now, if I don't expose myself to something frequently enough, it feels like I have to re-learn it when I do it again.  When I attend a large event - and large to me is really anything that more than a dozen people attend - it's challenging for me.  I am pushing my current abilities to handle noise, lots of people moving around, etc.  But being able to go to social events, be around people, is important to me.  So I went to the Confirmation class Shabbat service, and the last day of Sunday School.  I plan what I can, use coping skills I've learned, and these events push my level of endurance.  Attending events like these is tiring; I do what socializing I can, and then I need to go. 

Sometimes doing something pretty ordinary can be challenging for me now.  I planted some flowers in flower pots recently, with the help of my daughters.  I took breaks, and by the time I was done I knew I'd pushed myself.  In terms of balance and visuals, it was difficult.  I knew it would be, but I decided I wanted to participate, and I love looking at flowers, especially after the dreariness of winter.   

These are just two examples; there are choices I make all the time.  I remember that there are certain things that build on other things.... this is where being able to talk to my therapists is really helpful.  My list of major goals - like socializing, and teaching flute again - isn't a long one.  I need to keep it manageable, and that only happens if my list is short, because there are a lot of pieces required to complete my picture.  Sometimes my picture feels much more like a puzzle, than a coherent whole.  I think of too many things I want to work on, too many pieces.  So then I need to step back and say "OK, one small step at a time."  And eventually - I don't really have a timetable - I can add something.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.