September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

June 21st 2015 A little bit about Feldenkrais and Vision therapy

Use Google Translate to listen if needed.

NOTE/CLARIFICATION:  I said in my previous post that my first diagnosis was BPPV.   The BPPV test that a vestibular rehab therapist (VRT) does with goggles is NOT the same as what a Developmental (or Behavioral) Optometrist (DO) does to check for functional vision problems (such as CI, Strabismus, etc.).  The BPPV test does NOT show functional problems.  My experience has been that DOs, who supervise VT (and the vision therapists that DO VT) have far more experience and expertise regarding the wide spectrum of functional vision problems than a VRT does.  Finally, you can have a functional disorder WITHOUT having nerve damage.

Some people have never heard of Feldenkrais Therapy (FT), named for the man who invented it, or Vision Therapy (VT).   Or they've heard of them, but only by name.  Both of these therapies are appropriate for my diagnoses, and work well for me.  FT works far better for me than vestibular rehab therapy did.  I know that a number of factors can impact what choices you make (i.e. money, insurance coverage, etc), but hopefully sharing this info will be helpful for some.  I also encourage you to Google videos and articles - there's some good TED talks, etc. out there.  One difference between FT and VT is that FT is what I think of as a combo therapy.  Sometimes when I go, because of whatever has been going on, I'm more focused on getting back to my baseline.  Other times, I can be challenged more to make progress. 

So, with all of that stated, a little bit about VT.   I saw a good TED talk recently in which the doctor talked about eyes working as a team.  That is the basic goal: for my eyes to learn or relearn how to work together.   For example, how my vision is involved in helping me keep my balance, because my balance comes from more than my inner ear.  I use, among other things, various games, computer software programs, and orthoptic tools - some that look ordinary and some not - to work on these tasks.  Sometimes I sit and sometimes I stand, or even move around a bit.   I always give Ann an update before we begin, and there's a fair amount of discussion with Ann throughout the process.  Sometimes this is to answer my questions, and sometimes I talk about other things so I don't get too fixated on the visual task.  Sometimes concentrating is good, sometimes it's over thinking, at least for me, which isn't helpful.

Now for FT.   FT involves movement and body awareness, sometimes done by Joyce, sometimes by me under her guidance.  I am in the process of relearning/retraining my body/brain how to do things with better balance.  I think that all the movements send new, good messages to my brain, and my brain absorbs it over time, and with repetition. Joyce works with me on a low, slightly padded table.  I either sit, or lie down, and sometimes at the end of a session I walk around a bit.  Just as with Ann, I give Joyce an update before we begin.  I talk about how to do things, how to be functional.  Joyce often reminds me of how everything in my body is connected.   She looks for basic things like how well I'm aligned, how I move - or don't move.  During the session, I tell her how something feels, or ask a question, but there is less general conversation during my sessions with Joyce.  At the end of a session, she usually asks me if anything feels different, where my visual resting point is, and about my visual horizon. 


My MAV and CI caused, and can still cause, similar symptoms: dizziness and disequilibrium (being off balance).  When I got sick, I developed - as do many people - coping and compensating mechanisms.  I listened to an article my friend Michael sent me regarding how other muscles get in on the act when eye muscles aren't doing their job.  This is true; if one part of your body (eye muscles) isn't doing its' job, your brain/body will involve something else.  This is what compensating is all about.  Unfortunately, the compensating isn't always good in the long run.  Regarding vision, and therefore balance, this means that muscles work too hard, and often get very tense and tight.  This tension goes in both directions because everything is connected:  when my eye muscles don't work properly, it can create tension in my jaw (which causes pain), OR muscles that tense up in my shoulder or neck can cause tension in my eye muscles.   

Some of my compensating habits were obvious and conscious - like how I sat when I first got sick - but a lot of it happened on a neuromuscular level.  There is work that Joyce does with me during my FT sessions that works on that level which I really can't explain.   But I do know that I don't want to make things any harder, so muscle tension matters.  I want everything serving its' intended purpose. The key for muscles is to be holding, functioning, but not over-working and tight.  Muscle tension affects my posture while I'm looking at the computer, which makes visual tasks more difficult.  Also, if my posture while standing isn't good due to tension, this affects my ability to comfortably maintain my balance, and affects my line of vision.    In addition to posture, muscle tension is, I think, a trigger for migraines; one reason my migraines are better controlled, besides my diet, is because of my FT. 

Breathing is important for oxygen, obviously, and greatly affects muscle tension, and thus balance.   Joyce talks to me a lot about, and works with me on breathing, and Ann will sometimes remind me to breathe.  I'm less likely to feel dizzy and/or off-balance when I'm reasonably comfortable, and breathing well.  When I am concentrating on doing something, I may tense up, and not breathe well.  I don't always notice muscle tension before I feel really tight, even pain, but I'm getting better at this.  When I feel/notice pain, I do three things: 

1) Body check - what do I notice?  Is there anything I want to change?,

2) Breathing - how am I breathing?  Do I suddenly take a huge breath when I 
pay attention?

3) Do I need to get up and move around?

One more thing regarding muscle tension/pain:  I have learned through FT that sometimes movement near the source of pain rather than exactly where the pain is can be beneficial.  Because everything is connected, movement as low as your hips can produce movement in your jaw, and impacting the area less directly can be easier on your system.


During a VT or FT session (or when I'm working at home), I sometimes feel dizzy or off balance.  But whether it's part of a session, or on my own, it's OK.  My exercises are, and continue to be, titrated to me, and Joyce and Ann both know me and my body well.  So I know I need to push through in order to get better.  I should add that this "pushing through" ability on my part has increased as I've made progress. 


Glasses, something everyone is familiar with, are an important tool for VT.  There are a number of kinds of glasses that are used.  For me, low level reading glasses and sunglasses are both tools.  My reading glasses have a slightly blue tint, my sunglasses a darker blue tint.  The tint color was something I gave a lot of consideration to, as well as the type of frame.  Neither of these considerations are an unusual part of VT.  Even non prescription glasses change the way light (and thus images) come into your eyes, so ANY glasses will affect your visual perception.  There is also the distraction of the edges (whether you wear rimless or not) of the lenses, and how your brain deals with images as you move.  

All of this comes into play when I wear glasses for reading text or musical notes.  I also have to practice wearing sunglasses; I put them on and go outside, learning to navigate steps, and movement.  Mobility is a multi-processing task.  When I walk outside, there are a number of elements that my brain needs to process as I move - some of this is inner ear, some is sensory messages from my body, and some is visual - and it ALL gets processed by my brain. 

I do FT and VT exercises everyday now - being able to do more on my own was a definite sign of progress - but FT and VT are also in a sense incorporated into my day through all my activities.  Doing a body check, breathing, writing this article is all part of my rehab.  The specific exercises I do are a more focused way for me to make progress, and are important, but it's really everything working together - exercises and awareness as I move through my day - that makes it all work.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

5 Responses to June 21st 2015 A little bit about Feldenkrais and Vision therapy

  1. Vertigo can be quite troublesome, because it can upset your sense of balance, among other things. It’s good to see that you are really taking care of your condition, and that you have adjusted to it fairly well! Just remember that awareness of your spatial surroundings and good light refraction are keys to dealing with some difficulties. Good day!

    Doris Gibbs @ Moody Eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies for only just now seeing this! Thank you for reading and commenting... I appreciate the feedback :-)

      Delete
  2. I use buscopan to relax muscles
    with
    sea sickness
    and anti nausea type meds ( often over the counter)
    so that I am less aware of the sensations
    More able to get on with slowly and safely getting
    through the basics I need to in a day.. Those same basics that yo desribe.
    If I visualise which muscles and body movements that I need to use at the time ( rather than focussing on getting "it" done, or the frustration of the slow process..) I find that I can do that function a little better on the next day.
    The sense of achievement and little positive changes coming from this "mindfulness", if you will, seeing little healing changes. .... Promote positive mood, self belief, achievement.... the determination to succeed step by step day by day...
    As you say yourself... "it will take as long as it takes..."
    I wish you all the very best and THANKYOU for your kind post that is full to the brim with heavyweight philosophical truths of human spirit, human kindness and human resilience in action.
    THANKYOU Tamar Schwarz for creating your you online.
    It is beheld in high regard and respect from lil me in as far away as Australia
    I'm sure I am not your first Aussie reader, nor responder!!
    TVM. ��

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hi - sorry it took so long for me to see this comment of yours.... and thank you for sharing... I don't use meds bc I have problems with side effects, but I certainly agree re the mindfulness, and I'm glad you got something out of this piece... best wishes to you and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these days vision problem is very serious concern in world wide children's in early age vision problem take his roots for this solution doctor suggest BPPV test and with the help of Physiotherapy North Ryde peoplem easily sole this problem easily

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.