September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

November 9, 2019 - "me" still there, even in my new normal



Looking back at the last 30 years, I've gotten involved, taken action:

1) I helped co-found a flute choir (Lakeside Flutes - still in existence) in 1988,

2) volunteered when my daughters were in grade school,

3) got involved in our congregation's Sunday School - serving on the Youth Education Committee for over 10 years,

4) got involved with the community band I played in after Lakeside Flutes, 

5) Got my diagnoses, and treatment - after I got sick - another form of taking action, and

6) Got involved with the Vestibular Disorders Assn. - VeDA - as an Ambassador.

In the present - right now - I know these three things -

1) my therapies are not bad for me - quite the contrary, they help me, as long as they're tailored to me. Patience also matters - speed is never a thing with neurological rehab.

2) I can't completely control (I wish!) all the factors that can impact me, bring on symptoms. I can only do the best I can.

3) Doing is important. Trying things. I still like the idea of volunteering "out there."


I need to try out volunteering in environments where I'm comfortable, where getting there is not difficult, and where I know the people will be understanding, and willing to accommodate.

To that end, I am re-approaching our local West Deerfield Township food pantry about volunteering there.

I've also floated the idea of some kind of volunteering at Dr. Margolis's office. Yes, my doctor's office.

I don't know if either of these volunteering opportunities is going to work, but I need to try.  I also don't know how my therapies and volunteering will fit together; it's going to take some experimentation. And I have to do the best I can to take care of myself.

Life can be so unpredictable. Trying things that I actually choose feels like taking back a little bit of control over my life. I believe that "me" - the one who DID all those things I listed - is still there.

My skills are still there, but my current health situation definitely complicates matters. I hope that there's a way, even in my new normal, not for what I'd once envisioned, but for something "out there."



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.