September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

November 16, 2019 Look what I can do! And gratitude



During my session last week with Christina, she wrote up a list of all of the routine/activities of daily living – ADL – that I'm able to do. At the end she noted that more than half of them I am able to do without any help from Ron.

Then we moved on to a list of things that I enjoy that I'm able to do. Whether or not any of these can be expanded on I don't know. I think that doing this gave her a better idea of my daily life. It also gave me concrete evidence of how far I have come.

The buttons - plus a few bigger items - are a visual for me, of all the stuff I've done in recent weeks. Some routine, some not so much.

Since doing this exercise with Christina, I realized how much I have maintained even while trying to stabilize from my setback the beginning of October. Maintaining my ADL is a big deal.

I also remembered that when my mother emailed me that it was impressive that I had gone to a furniture store with Ron and Leena to pick out new dining chairs, I had downplayed it. But it was a big deal – difficult yes, but I did it!

I managed the Saturday a couple of weeks ago when our old living room windows were taken out, and new ones installed. Thinking through to make sure that the pets were safe, and dealing with the disruption.

I realized when talking about pacing with Ann (VT) that I underestimate what I am actually doing. Given the fact that I am living a new normal, I really need to give myself credit for all of the challenges I DO take on.

It's so, so easy to focus on the deficits, so I am going to make a point every week to focus on what I'm accomplishing.

here's some of the buttons I sorted, a visual accomplishment -

I'm incredibly grateful that my medical team - Dr. Margolis, Ann, Christina and Joyce – for never giving up on me even when I'm struggling.

Finally, I am fully aware, and very, very grateful and appreciative of the support I get from family to be able to still be traveling this medical journey of mine.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.