September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

November 27, 2019 Feeling, letting go, moving on





I started working with my psychiatrist, Dr. Mirsky, two years ago. It took a couple months of being on meds for me to realize I'd fallen into a deep depression. Recognizing my depression was the first step to coming out of it.

I also realized I had developed PTSD anxiety from the night I had gotten sick. Urged by Dr. Mirsky, I began cognitive behavioral therapy with Christina.


This past weekend, for a variety of reasons, was a hard one for me. When I try something, and it does not work, at first my anxiety flares. When I pull back to regroup, it's very easy to fall into depression.

Letting myself feel sad, letting myself cry, is healthy. It's only when the crying is too frequent that it's a problem.
Grieving for my losses is important, but I don't want to get lost in the grief - when lonely images start to populate my thinking, depression's setting in.

Managing all of my invisible disorders – vestibular, visual, PTSD anxiety/depression, and irritable bowel – is no easy task. Sometimes I really hate it. Setbacks are hard to recover from, and chip away at my self-confidence.


When I draw, I try to get caught up in the activity, not over think it. Take a color, put it to paper, see what happens.




I discovered that the list of activities of daily living - ADL - that I did with Christina could be added to, which surprised me. I'm lucky to be able to do a lot of basic things on my own. I also wrote up my own list of what I enjoy -


I don't want to dismiss my difficult feelings - I need to let myself register ALL of that. But it's OK to let go of them - I don't need to hold on to them. I need to also let myself keep going.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.