September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

June 23, 2019 How I notice progress



I realized something - the fact that I've recovered as much as I have is wonderful & remarkable... I'm not miraculously cured, but I'm so much better than I used to be.

I still think about the mistakes along the way, and find myself wishing I'd gotten to where I am now, sooner... but I didn't stay stuck - which is what really counts.

I also know just how fortunate I am to have been able - & continue to be able to do my therapies. This has given me time to process, to grieve, to reassess, to readjust - this is the human experience of rehab.

My medical team benefits from this as well - getting to know me, learning what works for me. I often wish I knew what to expect, because my PTSD still looks over my shoulder, expecting something bad... yet I looked at My Timeline of Progress (10/24/18), & I see that I can update it, adding that I now have prescription sunglasses, & prism as part of my prescription for my reading glasses.

I didn't add this to my timeline, & I don't write about Feldenkrais much, but finding Feldenkrais was my first step towards recovery, & I learn from it all the time... this past week Joyce told me that she thought I was finally ready to handle more direct work with my eyes - pretty cool!

I'm still waiting for a definitive finish line, but the reality is that unlike an actual race, there seldom ARE definitive finish lines.  More often, there are transitions, & changes. I want to keep improving - growing & learning, but I also want to notice what's happening right now.

So, I made myself stop, think about this past week - here's what I came up with -

1) handling quick phone calls from Ron, even as I did some things on my computer.

2) handling a few texts while being on my computer.

3) transitioning into an activity when I get home from walking Cosmo.

4) handling some schedule changes on a couple of days this week

5) Sorting thru some medical files - that was interesting

6) being aware of my movements in new ways when I do my Feldenkrais home therapy.

7) Noticing my visual horizon, particularly when I play my flute, or the piano.






Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.