September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

Aug. 7th 2015 A bit about my game plan towards playing my flute more, and teaching....

NOTE: Please cut and paste into Google Translate to listen if needed

I'm listening to The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontier's of Brain Science by Norman Doidge, M.D. So far it is proving to be  fascinating, talking about the neuroplasticity of the brain.  Neuroplasticity has to do not just with brain retraining, but also with the brain's ability to have a section of the brain take over the function of a damaged part, thus the term "plasticity."  I'm not trying to make that happen, since I don't - fortunately - have brain damage, but the idea of the capacity of our brains to repair, and in my case, relearn functions is amazing and inspiring.   That's what my Feldenkrais Therapy (FT) and Vision Therapy (VT) are all about - relearning/retraining my brain.

My friend David recently shared my post about getting back to teaching flute, and these were his words of encouragement with his share "...remember do not let your vestibular disorder define who you are! Set goals and work on them slowly."  I would add that I don't want to be defined by my vision disorder either.  I also got a comment from a woman named Melanie, saying that the feedback she'd gotten from a professional flutist and a neuropsychologist were that she couldn't regain the ability to do the mental processing required, so she had to give up the possibility of playing flute again.  Although I don't know what Melanie's diagnosis is, I encouraged her to keep exploring, saying that the feedback she'd gotten might not, in fact, be definitive.

I've seen articles about what music can do for the brain, and I'm convinced that my flute playing helps me.  I'm not saying everyone will become a flutist, but I DO think that making music - and singing definitely counts regardless of how good you are - has all kinds of benefits.  Not just in the brain retraining area, but for mood and cognitive function as well.  As I go through this experience, I find that there are elements of my flute playing that apply to other activities as well.  Computer - which is a nearly universal activity at this point - is one that immediately comes to mind because it uses a combination of visual and fine motor skills.  It is important not to be totally static, and to be mindful on the computer, just like when I play my flute.

I believe SO strongly that, as frustrating as it can be, it's important not to "let your fill-in-the-blank disorder define who you are!" as David said.   You may have to make some adjustments; I saw the other day that a man was playing an autoharp instead of a guitar.  I was told by some, when I had to completely stop playing for about a year and a half, "well, you know you're not alone, some musicians have to give up playing," and yes, I already knew this.  I don't know if the musicians who stop explore all possible avenues, before they give up.  I DO know that I have no plans to give up playing my flute.  Being able to play is, in fact, one of the major motivators for me to do what I need to do to take care of myself and improve as much as possible. 

Everything in our bodies is connected, and I have to be careful about muscle tension in other parts of my body - like my neck or shoulders - impacting my hands, and therefore my ability to play.  I warm up my body with gentle movement before I play, and I stop and take breaks during every session; my playing sessions are currently about 10 minutes.  I pay attention to my breathing, where I place my music stand, and where my music is on the stand.  I notice how I stand, or sit.  Eventually, my new, healthier, more functional habits will become more second nature, and I won't have to think about it all quite so much - that's my plan.  But for now, I play very mindfully.

I watch flutists on YouTube; what are they doing with their arms, torsos, wrists, hands, fingers?  Can I see how they're breathing?  Where are their music stands?  It's interesting to me that some professionals are surprisingly static - probably one of the reasons that musicians end up with troubles.  I listened recently to a demo video of a flutist talking about posture, and noticed that she focused on position as if one's body should be completely still when playing; it was all about head and mouth alignment.  This is not unusual - I never had a flute teacher talk to me about the fluidity of movement involved in playing the flute.  I did not hear about breathing beyond thinking about breathing from my diaphragm.  Good breathing is a start, but what about being aware of how my chest is moving, how I'm holding my arms and whether or not they are moving? How am I sitting, or standing, and how is my weight shifting?

Again, I realize not everyone is going to play the flute - or any instrument - but I mentioned singing, for which this body awareness does matter.  I also mentioned computer use, and breathing and posture matters for that as well.  Another common activity for which all this is important is walking.  Freedom of movement allows for much better balance; this is why it's easier to keep one's balance in motion, than standing still.  Walking is what I think of as a gentle, twisting movement.  It's not just your arms and legs, moving crosswise - meaning left arm going back and forth as right leg goes forward, then right arm doing the same as left leg goes forward.  Your entire torso - shoulders, hips, etc. - are in motion, which of course means your spine is rotating.  When something doesn't move well, problems arise.  So I always think that all my activities impact one another.

I find there's a difference between how I play - and therefore how I feel - if I'm playing "free form" vs. if I'm playing from memory vs. playing off of sheet music I'm reading.  The cognitive processing is somewhat different for each of these modes of playing.  My perceptual field changes when I wear my glasses while playing because, to quote Dr. Hellerstein as seen on FB, "vision is seeing, processing and responding to visual information."  So when I wear my reading glasses, I am mixing the cognitive process of making music, with all that changes when my vision is impacted by glasses.  

When I play my flute,  I try for balance between cognitive attention to music and cognitive attention to my body, AND just letting it happen and not over-thinking the entire process.  Playing free form helps me achieve this balance.  Sometimes when I play free-form I'm surprised when I play a note because I was imagining a different tone than what I produced, and then I go with whatever I actually played.  I have no idea what the "rules" are for improv or jazz because I never learned them in the first place, and am not interested in learning them now.  When I play free form, it's like my fingers just move through notes - the fingerings are in my hands with years of muscle memory. 

I'd already sometimes brought my flute to FT sessions, and I now sometimes bring my glasses and sheet music as well.  Joyce has a music stand (she works out of her house), and so I can replicate what I do at home.  It's fine - probably even good - that the tools are the same as in my own home, but the setting isn't identical.  I do FT movements with my reading glasses on, and move my flute with my eyes closed, both of which are a very different experience for me.   I don't think I'll bring my flute to VT, but I DO bring sheet music (to read on a music stand or similar item) because, again, I want to work with my actual tools.  My brain pays more attention to the differences, I think, being in a different environment - it changes things up more.  It's tiring, but it will get better. 

It would be easy for me to get caught up in frustrations about how things have changed for me.  The reality is that change is a part of life; I had changes I wasn't expecting, but I think that happens more than we admit.  I also took things for granted before, things that I never even thought about.  That's both good and bad - I think being more thoughtful, more aware, and more outspoken about invisible disorders is good.  I've said that my major goal is to get back to teaching flute.  An even larger goal is for some things to become more second nature for me again.  I believe this is happening, and will continue to happen more over time.  I'm very grateful that more is being discovered about the brain; how it works and how to retrain it.  I gain more confidence as I continue my journey, putting more pieces together, to play and teach and share my flute music.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.