September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

August 25th 2015 Reviewing the situation: Diagnoses, Treatment and more....

NOTE: Please cut and paste into Google Translate to listen if needed.

The last week and weekend were unusually busy and intense for me because I was involved in taking my older daughter to college, and helping her to get settled.  This is a big transition time for me, as well as my family, and I feel like my brain is - as of today - starting to process info better.   I have to be very focused about how I use my time, energy and resources, and I'm still very much in the process of figuring that out.  I made a point of playing my flute - all free form - which felt good, but did no writing.  Making music is a very different experience than formulating coherent thoughts, and I really felt no pull to write.  I knew the writing would come back. 

All of this made me think about life with my invisible disorders.  Living with invisible disorders - certainly the ones I have - is a unique experience, and why I feel so strongly about raising awareness.  People need to know these disorders exist, but also to recognize that understanding them may be difficult, and the key is really to believe people have disorders even when they look "just like everyone else."  I've written about Balance Awareness Week coming up in September, and I've also written before about how vision is an integral part of balance. 

August is Vision and Learning Awareness Month.  There are lots of good articles online, as well as videos explaining why vision is much more than 20/20 acuity. Vision, to quote Dr. Hellerstein again - as seen on FB -  "... is seeing, processing and responding to visual information." If you have a child, getting your child - all the way through college age - tested for functional vision is really important.  The earlier a problem is detected and treated, the better.  Vision problems - like Convergence Insufficiency (basically eye teaming), and Strabismus (double vision) are often misdiagnosed as behavioral problems like ADHD. 

Functional vision tests can be done by a developmental optometrist.  Regular optometrists - and ophthalmologists -  do NOT test for functional problems.  When these vision problems are caught early, the chances of developing a problem later in life - as I did - is greatly reduced.  Again, vision is a key element of balance.  The entire system of balance - vestibular (inner ear), peripheral nervous system and vision - can impact one another, and the vestibulo ocular reflex (VOR) may become impaired if ones balance becomes impaired.  No one should presume it's all in their ears - the vestibular system - if functional vision problems have not been ruled out.

Once you have a diagnosis - whatever it is, along the road to improving as much as possible, take advantage of whatever tools you can that will be helpful.  Ron had a conversation with me recently about a friend from his college days who has trouble with reading since having a stroke, and is resistant to audio books.  While I understand the resistance - I had the same reaction at first - here's my take on using what is available - DO it!  It's hard to acknowledge that you need to use something because of a disability, but consider the consequences if you don't.  You are not taking advantage of having access - whether it's about mobility, or information or whatever - because of your new reality. 

In my mind there are levels of limitations; the situations that I just can't do anything about (like going to an Ed Sheeran concert with my daughters), the situations I can work with (figuring out what I can do for my daughter's college orientation), and what I can do without a great deal of planning (walking the dog with a family member).  Limitations can change over time, depending on what you are doing to make progress, so reviewing your situation, as I did in my post about making improvements (see July 29th "Another I can do it"....), is important.

Regarding working towards improving, there are options beyond medication.  Balance - meaning all the parts that go into a person's system of balance - can often be improved by a therapy that involves brain retraining. Vestibular Rehab Therapy (VRT) is fairly widely known and has helped people, and Feldenkrais Therapy (FT) is less widely known, but very effective. I've also heard of people feeling better from doing yoga and/or tai chi.  When a functional vision problem is involved, Vision Therapy (VT) is very effective.  Diet is also often a key element, particularly if you have a migraine disorder, or Meniere's.  The point is that exploring what can work for you, to help you improve and be more functional, is really important.

Lastly, I've said this before, but it's worth repeating - always give yourself credit for what you are able to do - even if it means simply getting through something difficult.  That's not really a simple thing at all - it's a big deal.  I reminded myself of this this past weekend.  And if you did really well, or better than you were anticipating, hold onto that success.  Something difficult is whatever is hard for YOU - whether that's doing a social event, taking a walk, or doing a household chore.  I feel like it's really easy for those of us with invisible disorders to get down on ourselves, and focus on the frustrations.  It's important to talk to people - therapists, friends who also have invisible disorders - who really get it, get some feedback, and be fair to yourself when you take stock of how you are doing.  None of us is to blame for our limitations due to our disorders, and we need to give ourselves credit for every effort!



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.