September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

April 30th 2015 About music - universal and personal

I've been thinking a lot about music.  I want to focus on who I am beyond my invisible disorders, and DO things related to that, and music is definitely a big part of who I am.  Music is not just a universal language; it's an experience everyone can share.  I have so many memories tied to music - that I've played, or sung, or music I've listened to.  Whatever was going on in my life seems to be linked to music.  You don't have to be talented to appreciate music, you just have to find music that speaks to you, fits your mood, or even makes you feel like dancing.  I have songs on my iPod that I have listened to dozens of times - not an exaggeration!

Having Lovely here made me think about music, because everyone can understand, appreciate music.  Even when there's a language barrier - which is more obvious now that she's back in France, and can't DO anything with us - there's loads of music she can listen to.  Lovely enjoyed listening to me playing my flute the few times she heard me on the weekend.  I did NOT do it like a performance - I'm not ready for that -  but I wanted to play as I always do, each day, even though she was here.  So I did, and she gave me a thumbs up.  I wanted to connect with Lovely on Facebook so I sent her a link to my YouTube channel.  I'll occasionally send her other videos as well.

There's a wealth of all kinds of music available online now via YouTube, and lots of wonderful music themed videos.  When I saw the news about the death of Jonathan Crombie, the actor who played Gilbert Blythe in the Anne of Green Gables series I loved, I looked up A of GG videos on YouTube.  There are a number of videos and most of them have really pretty music in the background.  I've also watched loads of Harry Potter videos set to wonderful songs.  Music is like a magic thread that ties everything together.

I always notice how music is used in movies... it's hard to imagine movies without music.  I finally saw the movie Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, based on the book by the same name.  Remembering 9/11 stirred up a music memory.  We took the girls to Tom Chapin kids' concerts at Ravinia for a number of years.  I found myself remembering singing Tom Chapin's song "This Pretty Planet" with Leena about a month after 9/11.... it was just a moment that flowed one day, that I've never forgotten.  

I have loads of wonderful musical memories from Kol Hadash Humanistic Congregation, which my family and I have belonged to now for 13 years.  Music is always a key element in services, whether it's the informal setting of Sukkot, or much more formal Kol Nidre at Yom Kippur.  I remember playing my flute at a few Shabbat services, something I'm not currently doing, but still a special memory.  If I were to try to imagine my wedding, or the girls Bat Mitzvahs, or Chanukah parties without music, it would be like there was a strange silence, a missing soundtrack.

I've been trying to read sheet music every week with my glasses.  It's a goal I set myself because I want to expand the music that's accessible to me.  I'm keeping the music pretty simple for now.  And I'm also trying to sound out some new, simple songs.   Once I figure out the starting note, that's really helpful.   And I try to figure out what key it's in.... sometimes it's just frustrating, but then I figure something out, and think "hey, that's it!" and it's really cool.  So satisfying to hear the song come to life, hear the right notes come out of my flute... and then I try to repeat so that it eventually feels natural.  My fingers start to know which note comes next.

I've also been thinking about what I like to DO with my music.... and that led me to think about goals.  And that sometimes goals need to be adjusted, but don't have to evaporate.  Like eventually doing another video for my YouTube channel - a simpler video, that's visually less demanding, but still doable.  A video that focuses on a favorite piece of music or two.  Just me and my flute.  And playing with another musician... I used to get together with a couple flutists regularly and I really enjoyed it.  Someday I want to do that again... I won't be playing fancy music at first, nor will I play for a long time.  But even a little bit, with some laughter thrown in, would be wonderful.

And then of course there's teaching a child, or an adult to play a flute.  I really loved doing that.   It's really wonderful, magical when they play the first real note, or realize they're actually playing a simple bit of music - a stanza or two.  Doing that again with even one student would feel so good.  Leena commented that she thought I was improving, which surprised me.  But I realized that not only do I try to play every day, but I'm working hard at breaking old bad habits.  I'm learning to really pay attention to breathing.  And I've learned to listen, because I have to.  Sometimes I just play and let my fingers go, and a sound may surprise me.  And everything, especially being a better listener means, I think, being a better teacher. 


I could worry about what might happen, because life does have a way sometimes of throwing a monkey wrench into plans.  But I can't let that kind of thinking, worrying about "what ifs" keep me from setting goals.  You have to - I have to - set goals.  Dreaming is nice, but setting goals means you actually have a plan.  I strongly believe that being functional is important, but function that builds towards a purpose feels better.  I don't want to set myself any deadlines for when I'll be playing duets, or recording a video or teaching someone how to play the flute.  I just know that I'll be working towards those goals, and that there will be lots of very small steps along the way.  But every little step builds on the one that came before it.

For anyone who wants to take a look, here's a link to my YouTube Channel -
https://www.youtube.com/user/cool09VIDeos1

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.