September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

April 3rd 2015 Hope and optimism: it's a choice

When people hear the word "rehab" my guess is they think mostly of either short term physical therapy (like after something like knee surgery), or drug rehab.  There are actually lots of varieties of rehab.  Whether a person lives at a rehab facility, or not, rehab applies to anyone who needs to regain some degree of function in some way.  The dictionary definition of rehab says, among other things, "(to be restored to) a condition of good health."  I know that stroke survivors often have to do rehab.  Rehab therapy of some kind is also really common for people with various disorders that affect their balance (I don't want to say "vestibular" since balance is about more than your vestibular system). 

I haven't asked anyone, but if I had to guess, I'd say that most patients think that when they do rehab, they'll "get better."  So what does "get better" really mean?  My own perception of rehab continues to evolve.  The issue with rehab is that, in reality, "better" means improved.  Going back to the definition, I DO think you can be "restored to good health," BUT you may not be (often I think are not) exactly the way you were before you needed rehab.   A good therapist (which I'm very thankful I have - two actually) will have ongoing discussions, in fact will encourage discussions with you to help you understand the process.  Hopefully you can talk with whoever you're working with about goals, about what will happen if you start to plateau, etc. 

I'm not going to go into detail about what I do, but I do two kinds of rehab therapy.  One is Feldenkrais (named after the man who invented it) therapy, which focuses on balance, movement and body awareness.  The woman I work with, Joyce, is an occupational therapist.  The other is vision therapy, which focuses on various aspects of vision, including Vestibulo Ocular Reflex (VOR).  My vision therapist, Ann, (supervised by a developmental optometrist) incorporates some of what's done in Vestibular Rehab Therapy (VRT), but has much more knowledge of how vision works, and how vision impacts balance.  I talk with Ann and Joyce about exercises (each one no more than a minute or two) I do on my own, specifically tailored to me, that get integrated along with what I do in my sessions.

I've thought a lot about what goes into doing rehab, besides who you work with and what you actually DO.  There's a lot that comes to mind: 

Hard work, effort, optimism, attitude, perspective, choice, patience, progress, persistence, and hope.  Someone else might come up with some other ingredients as well. 

Rehab is a big part of my life, extending beyond the two different therapies I go to on a weekly basis.  When I look at all these words, the one that I keep coming back to is "choice." 

What conscious choices do you make when you do rehab? 
Are hope and optimism choices?

For the first question, to me the main choice is to keep on pushing through and DOING rehab.  "Rehab is fun" - said no one, ever.  Rehab is NOT fun.  You can have a laugh with your therapist; I've told both my therapists that I like them.  And it helps to like the people you work with, in fact I think it's essential.  But it still doesn't make rehab fun.

About the second question: I feel like you absolutely have to make a conscious choice - continually - to be optimistic and hopeful.  I think that some people are by nature more optimistic than others, which to me means that some people have to work harder at being optimistic than others.  Sometimes being optimistic is very difficult.  I wrote recently about what I miss out on, and how hard things are at times.  The afternoon that I missed a party, I said to myself "you can't spend your afternoon thinking about this, you'll just bring yourself down."  When I'm missing out on something, I try to do bits of things I enjoy, and I try not to do things I really don't enjoy (like chores).  When it's not a question of missing out on something, but rather that I'm having a tough day for whatever reason, I feel like literally keeping moving, keeping on doing stuff - even really basic stuff like laundry - is important.  Making myself think about things that don't have to do with me also helps me. 

Music has always been really important to me.  I realize that not everyone can play an instrument, but anyone can listen to music.  I recently saw a post about songs about needing help, that people with chronic conditions identified with, and I just couldn't relate to that at all.  I  always listen to encouraging music, music that lifts me up.  Some examples for me are Phil Collins "You'll be in My Heart," "Go the Distance," sung by Lucas Grabeel, and "Don't Give Up" by Josh Groban.  I also love Jason Mraz - he's so upbeat; I love his sound and his lyrics are like poetry.   Keith Urban is another singer who seems to be a really good person, and I can always find something of his to lift my mood. 

Of course, making the choice to be hopeful and optimistic is incredibly hard if you're still looking for answers.  If you're floating around in the land of "I have no idea what's going on, or what to do" it's very hard work to be optimistic. You have to have reasons to be optimistic, and the times when you're telling yourself not to give up are exactly the times when it's the most important to be hopeful.  If you don't have answers yet, the first reason to be hopeful and not give up is that you're worth it.  The second reason is that once you DO have the right treatment plan for your problem, you have to get to work.   Once you have a gameplan, and you're working with people you trust (doctors, PTs, OTs, etc.) that's when I think it's time to choose to be optimistic and hopeful.  Sometimes making these choices is really really hard.  I definitely lose sight, lose my hold on hope and optimism at times.  But then I think about the progress I've made, and make the decision, the choice to be hopeful and optimistic. 


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.