September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

February 11th 2015 Visit to my podiatrist

I decided to share the experience of my recent consultation with my podiatrist, Dr. W.  For one thing, I think the best way for people to understand and learn is for me to share actual experiences, and going to a podiatrist is less of a "typical" doctors' visit than, for example, going to an internist.  In addition, feet are pretty important for balance.  When Ron and I arrived, we were told they were updating info and presented us with a bunch of forms.  I really prefer when doctors tell you ahead of time there will be forms to fill out; I didn't think to ask ahead of time about forms since I'd been there before.  When forms can be downloaded so that Ron can do them at home, it's much easier.  Because of my vision disorder, Ron always has to deal with forms.

As I said, I've been to Dr. W. before, but this was my first time post invisible disorders.  He's a very nice guy, and also a good doctor, so in some ways I wasn't nervous.  I knew what the waiting area and examining rooms were like, what he was like, and had an idea of what would happen.  I was pretty sure I had an ingrown toenail, which is not just annoying, but sometimes painful.  I had been putting off dealing with it, I guess partly because it's human nature to put things off sometimes, but also because at times I feel like I've done enough doctoring to last me a long time.  But I decided it was time to deal with my toe before it got any worse. 

I never like sitting in examining chairs, or on examining tables because of the height;  I always feel better when my feet can touch the ground.   Tables are especially uncomfortable because there's no arm rest either.  In this case, I was on a chair.  After I sat down, I just tried to get acclimated, telling myself to breathe and that it would be OK.  When Dr. W. came in, he was very cordial, addressing me by my first name and remembering that he had met Ron at a previous appointment.  He asked me what was going on, and I explained that I had made the mistake of using a store bought insert in my winter boots in addition to the insole that came with the boot.  He said that was a common mistake - and one I certainly won't make again!  A note to everyone reading....fit matters! Even if you think the trauma to your foot is minor, over time it can cause problems.  That's what happened to me, and pain or discomfort in a toe can create walking problems - NOT something you want to deal with if you have balance troubles.

While Dr. W and I were talking, I was thinking about what I would say regarding my invisible disorders.  Though I've talked about wanting to use the word "vestibular" and be understood, I personally don't like the term vestibular, because realistically people don't know the term.  I really didn't want to have to give a complicated explanation, and vestibular wouldn't be descriptive of my problems.  I had enough to deal with just being there, and wanted to use a word I was certain he would understand.    So I opted to say I had a balance problem, and asked him to tell me ahead of time if the chair I was sitting on needed to be moved.  He said OK, and then asked for specifics, so I told him I had MAV, and a vision disorder.  I did not give any further info, as I didn't think it would be helpful. 

As I said, I like Dr. W.; he's got a very good bedside manner, and explains things well.  His only misstep was that at one point when the chair was either raised or lowered (I don't recall which) he said "This shouldn't bother you."  I didn't bother saying anything, but I thought "How do you know?  You don't really understand or know what will or won't bother me."  I would have preferred if he had said "let me know if something bothers you."  While I DO hope some people who know me well, will know that certain things bother me or are difficult, I don't expect people to really get how I FEEL.   Like a lot of experiences, especially given how individual MAV can be and that my vision disorder isn't super common, there's no way that someone can know exactly how I feel.    Understanding something intellectually is NOT the same thing as experiencing something; even Ron and the girls can't really know how I feel. 

In fact, sitting on the chair while it moved DID bother me.  I have a lot of trouble with my body experiencing motion that I am not in control of.  But unlike, for example the dentist, it really wasn't practical for the chair to move up and down without me.  If  a chair back is raised or lowered, I can sit up and then lower myself into the lowered chair, or vice versa.  But in this case, there was nothing I could do except breathe and do my best to get through it.  The worse part by far was the electric "sander" (I don't know what its' real name is) that's used to file down and smooth out a toenail.  I decided it was necessary for me because my traumatized toenail was so jagged from his trimming, and so thick, and the "sanding" does make a difference.    But feeling the pressure and vibration on my toe felt awful.  It sent uncomfortable vibrations all the way through me (no raunchy jokes please!), making me feel like I wanted to jump straight out of the chair.  I pushed through a bit and then told him I needed to stop.  Fortunately he said he'd done enough, and put the "sander" away.


To me the biggest challenge about going to a doctor's appointment is that I need to process whatever the doctor is telling me, but I also have to think about management.  I'm dealing with, and coping with my invisible disorders as part of the experience, which means a kind of multi tasking that is mentally taxing.  I got through the appointment, and I was glad I took care of a problem that thankfully was fairly simple, but it was draining.  I was tired.  When Dr. W. left the room, I told Ron I needed a couple minutes to get reorganized.  I put my shoes on to help me feel grounded, and sat in the one regular chair in the room (Ron was now standing).  I gave myself enough time to feel like I was once again grounded enough to go home, where I knew I could dial everything down a bit till I was ready to move on with the rest of my day.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to February 11th 2015 Visit to my podiatrist

  1. My personal experience is that very few doctors, including most ENT's understand inner ear issues. What has bother me the most is sitting on an examining table while the nurse takes my blood pressure. The discomfort and the dizziness usually raises my BP to unacceptable levels. If the nurse will listen to me, I ask her to take my BP again after I have had a chance to lie down on the examining table.
    The difference is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing.... and certainly understanding a vision disorder is beyond them....I always try to be seated in a regular chair and do relaxing breathing during BP readings.... that seems to help

      Delete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.