September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

February 25th 2015 Life is challenging, so what to do?

Growing up, health challenges were not a personal, tangible part of my world.  Neither of my parents had any major health issues that impacted my life.  Challenges due to medical disorders are now obviously very real to me, both because of my own experiences, and those of members of my family.  I know there are many people in the world whose lives are difficult, and health is often part of the mix.  Many people deal with chronic health problems that affect their quality of life in some way.  I won't say that being healthy is everything, but if you're in good health, taking advantage of opportunities is easier, less complicated.   In my case, a paying job is not an option, and I need to think carefully about volunteering opportunities.  There are activities I can't participate in, but I can lend my voice and ideas.   I have to figure it out with people who are understanding.  

Given what I'm dealing with now, I found myself remembering a phrase from my college days:  "Life is hard."  That's the opening sentence of a book called "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth," written by M. Scott Peck, M.D., first published in 1978. Thirty some odd years ago, I took a philosophy seminar class as a senior in college, and it was a favorite of mine.  I wasn't a philosophy major, but it was fascinating to be exposed to it.  We had a professor, but there was also a group of three students who helped lead discussions, and we all always had a lot to say.  "The Road Less Travelled" was one of the books I read for this class, and I've always remembered that first sentence; "Life is hard.".  We talked quite a bit about the fact that Peck put this idea out there, right in the beginning. 

I thought then, and still do, that the perspective or presumption, that life will be hard was compelling.  It's right up there with the idea of the pursuit of happiness, rather than the guarantee of happiness.  But if I were writing that sentence, I wouldn't say life is hard, but rather that life is challenging.  The word "hard" makes me imagine stop signs and brick walls.  I often think when people use the word "hard" what they really mean is that it's too hard, whatever the "it" is, and that kind of thinking can get you into trouble. I also wouldn't choose the word "hard" because the opposite of "hard" is "easy," and life isn't easy.  There are moments here and there that are easy, that just kind of flow, but I don't think in general that life is easy. 

"Challenging" to me has a very different feeling to it than the word "hard".  I like the very first definition I found:  "testing one's ability, endurance."  If you're testing your ability, that means you may have to dig deeper, but you can do it, you can endure.  That's an empowering message.  I think of another phrase I've heard quite a bit, that life's challenges make you stronger, and I agree but I'd add resilient. No one likes dealing with a major challenge; going through the experience may just feel draining, exhausting and difficult.  But I know that even now sometimes I say to myself, "OK, look how much you've been through, you can handle a lot."  It's valuable for me, even though I have very real challenges, to remind myself that I'm not fragile.

Another reason I like the word "challenging" is because something that's challenging is more like a really really difficult problem that needs to be dealt with, tackled.   Pain and dizziness definitely rank as major challenges in my book.  It's hard when you're in pain not to focus on the pain.  Dizziness to me is even worse.... dizziness makes me feel out of control, ungrounded.  Disconnected from the world around me.  Disequilibrium isn't quite as bad, but it definitely gets my attention.  So the idea of tackling feeling any of this, working through moments of any of this feels empowering.  Not tackling my disorders makes me feel stuck.  Stuck means there's nothing you can do, or at least you FEEL like there's nothing you can do.  I HATE feeling stuck.   I do feel sometimes like I'd like a break, like I really don't want to find out what I can handle, or have more situations that I can learn from.  I want a day that isn't filled with challenges.  But I'd still rather be tackling my challenges than doing nothing.  Doing nothing makes me feel helpless, and no one wants to feel helpless.

All of this gets me thinking about quality of life, and how health impacts quality of life, and what to DO about that.  In the end, what's in the mix with all the hard, or challenging stuff so I/we keep going?  I don't remember if Peck answers this in his book.   Figuring this out when you live with the challenges of invisible disorders everyday isn't so simple.  I don't think there's one "right" answer, because everyone's different, and everyone's lives are different.  But there are some things that stand out to me, that help me.   

Simply stated, but something not so simple to do, is cheering myself on, giving myself credit for every effort.   Being proud of myself is really important, but it's easy to lose sight of this.  Noticing anything and everything, whether it's a big change from several months ago, or a very small step forward over a few weeks, is worthwhile.  For example, last year I didn't dare take walks in the winter because I was terrified of falling down.  This year, even though I'm still nervous, and sometimes walk very carefully, I've tried to get out of the house every day.  I also notice any time I am able to focus a bit more on the music I make when I play my flute.  I may feel off balance after playing a few minutes, and need to get reorganized, but I try to pay attention and feel good about what I did.  And though I'm still working on this, giving yourself some kind of  tangible reward for your effort is never a bad idea.

Being connected to people in a variety of ways is very important; your immediate support system (your family), your professional support team, and all the other people in your life.  Not just to be heard, understood, and to feel less alone, but also to be a part of THEIR life.  I think it's good to listen to people talk about what's going on in THEIR lives, to share.  Getting out of your own head, out of your own life is a good thing.  Thinking about someone else reminds you of what others deal with, of the world around you.  I know that there are times when each of us just doesn't have the capacity to be open to other people's stories, but hopefully most of the time we are, even if it's only for a few minutes.  Building and maintaining connections and relationships takes time and effort, but it's so important. 

It's not just babies who thrive when they get positive attention, validation - each of us does.   I couldn't imagine dealing with the unpredictability, the slight insanity of life all on my own.  People we have ties with help soften and cushion the hard parts, make the challenges more bearable.  And being able to find some good moments, moments of laughter to share is wonderful.  Hopefully I/we can notice the good, sweet moments that we create on our own, but we also need to share, to get help when needed, to build connections.  We are social creatures, and I think we need to embrace that.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.