September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

January 27th 2015 Social life

Last week I attended a memorial service for my congregations' piano accompanist.  Lois was a wonderful pianist who probably didn't realize how talented she was, and was also a wonderful human being.  I don't think she tried to be special, I think she was just being herself, but she connected and touched many people.   This was evident not just by how many attended the memorial, but by all who spoke.  I didn't stay for the entire service (too long and wrong time of day for me), but I'm glad I was there.  Lois certainly wasn't famous in the traditional sense of the word, but she will be missed by many including myself, and I keep thinking that her legacy - to be so connected - is wonderful.

I heard her daughter say as I left the memorial that Lois "was the real deal" when it came to friendship.  Friendship is very important.  All relationships take work, and friendships are no exception. That's not breaking news, I realize, nor is the fact that it can be difficult to actually maintain friendships.  This is true for a lot of people for a lot of reasons, but - yes, there's a "but" - it's more complicated when invisible disorders create limitations.  Ideally, people connect over mutual activities or interests, or just get together.  This is easier said than done when doing things, even something simple, isn't so simple.

I feel for anyone with an invisible (or visible for that matter) disorder who lives by themselves; Ron and I help each other out in a variety of ways.  I always miss a part of, or all of some family events, but we go as a family down to Hyde Park (Chicago) a few times a year to visit my parents, and I am now usually able to go to Ron's cousins in Evanston when they hold a Passover Seder.  I'm grateful for Kol Hadash Humanistic Congregation, and attend an occasional Shabbat service, monthly Adult Education programs on Sunday mornings, and am a member of the youth education committee so that I still know what's going on in the Sunday School. 

Connecting to other people is important, and the internet is a wonderful resource.   But being with people is still, I think, really important.  There's basic outings that people do, like going to movie or live production theatres which I don't do.  I AM able to attend the annual Deerfield High School (DHS) musical.  I'm very familiar with the auditorium, and I know what I can do, how I can manage as long as the production isn't too visually intense.  Same goes for plays that are put on in the Studio Theatre.  This is why I did not attend Fall Play 1 at DHS, but I did attend the second one, a production of The Importance of Being Earnest. 

I know that people generally go out for lunch, dinner, or meet for coffee, and it's just part of the social fabric of their lives.  Going to a restaurant is complicated, and not in truth something I currently enjoy.  It takes planning; it's much better to go when it's not crowded, because lots of people and noise is a problem.  I can't deal with TV screens, loud music, or ceiling fans.  I need to call ahead to make sure that I'll be able to get food.  Although I've always ended up being able to eat, the food accommodations do not always go without a hitch.  It's nice not to have to cook, but because of all the planning, it's not a stress free experience. 

In my ideal world, I would have the energy to do what I want, regardless of the time of day, with only the normal constraints people have; time and money.  And everyone would be understanding and accepting of limitations.   I would speak up when necessary, and otherwise my limitations would be irrelevant.  When or if my health did come up, I would always be able to find the humor in my situation, rather than feeling like I just bumped into a wall.  I would never have to stop and think about the query "how are you?".  There's nothing wrong with this social greeting, and it's nice when people really want to know how I'm doing.   But at times I feel like I need to de-code the encounter; is this someone casually asking as so often happens, or do they really want to know?  It's difficult coming up with the appropriate reply, especially since my progress is slow, and I usually resort to "I'm OK".

In my ideal world, the sadness and frustration, knowing that I'm missing out would be rare.  I wouldn't have to remind myself that my situation could be worse.  I wouldn't have to tell myself to focus on the events or outings or whatever that I can participate in, and try not to pay attention to all the other stuff.  Facebook is a wonderful place to connect, share stories and videos, and learn.  But it's also a reminder to me of what I'm missing out on; when someone posts a picture, or talks about something they've done.  The picture or status might be any number of ordinary or special occasions.  I know there's a busy, mobile world out there, full of people doing all sorts of things.


I worry sometimes about maintaining friendships given that I'm kind of out of the social loop, and I know that I'm not alone in feeling this way.  You don't have to be a senior citizen to have medical problems of some sort, and I know I'm not the only middle aged woman with invisible disorders.  So I let myself, as with other issues, feel the emotions, and then do my best to move on.  My reality right now is my reality, and wishing it were different doesn't make it so.  What does make a difference, what CAN help is doing my best not to get stuck.  For me, a social life that expands beyond the internet requires thinking creatively, looking for whatever opportunities I CAN participate in.  The opportunities don't have to be huge chunks of time; an hour or even a few minutes here and there can build connections and make a difference.  And I have to remember that if I'm doing the best I can to create what I can  for a social life, and to sustain my friendships, that's all I can ask of myself.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

3 Responses to January 27th 2015 Social life

  1. Thank you so much for sharing. It is always good to know that others are going through the same ordeals and can truly understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have trouble being social. I live by myself. I don't know anyone my age in the town I live in. I don't get out of the house much. Going to restaurants is such a pain! I've always been socially awkward/shy and had trouble making friends and haven't done much dating at all. I've been dealing with this for 10 years. It started when I was in college. I'm 32 now. I feel like I haven't really lived.

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.