September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 2nd 2014 Stigma separates, isolates

The meaning of the word stigma is powerful.  I looked up the dictionary definition, and here's what I got:
1. a mark of disgrace or infamy; a stain or reproach, as on one's reputation.
2.  Medicine/Medical.  a mental or physical mark that is characteristic of a defect or disease:

Look at those words: "defective, diseased, stained, disgraced."  These definitions make me cringe.  The opposite of these meanings are constantly promoted in various forms of media.  Advertising promotes perfection, including hiding any imperfections, or flaws, and how to look young forever.   I think it's easy to understand that anyone with a problem might worry about how they'll be treated if they are "found out."  No one wants to be perceived as different, or "weird."  I don't think people always intend for others to feel  stigmatized, but I do think that people don't put themselves in other people's shoes enough.  I believe that many are so uncomfortable with problems, they want to keep their distance.  This distance makes the ones with the problems feel separate, bad, stigmatized.

It might seem strange, but our cat Maisy makes me think about stigma.  She has been a part of our family for about five months now, and is strong and healthy.  She is a purring machine, adorable, loving and fun.  A striking Tortie cat, she has now doubled her once thin frame, and is getting acquainted with having a body.  I watch as she moves, reminding me of a baby or toddler, rolling over and back again on the floor.  I wonder what she experienced in her stray life, and how it affected her to be so malnourished. She alternates between chasing her tail and cleaning it, sometimes staring at a wall.  She still hates jumping gates (we have a few to keep Cosmo, our dog out of some areas).  Despite numerous times coaxing her, she remains fearful of going through the pet door in the basement door.  Maisy somehow is never around when the front door opens, and runs away in fear when the back door opens.  I wonder if any of this is why she was a stray in the first place.  

I know cats, and people, can be quirky.  But I have a hunch if Maisy was a human, she'd have some kind of diagnosis.  If a diagnosis is treated successfully, people can lead fairly normal lives.  I also know that lots of people have undiagnosed or misdiagnosed problems.  Suppose there is a diagnosis, but treatment isn't available, or not completely successful?   If  Maisy was one of those people, what would her life be like?  Would people think she looks fine/normal, but get uncomfortable interacting with her, and judge her?  People with problems experience interactions that make them feel bad about themselves.  And there doesn't have to be a conversation; I think it's the vibe of discomfort, the look on someone's face that can sting the most.  Disorders, whether invisible or not, are generally not contagious, but I think there's a sense of "that could be me," or "I'm glad that's not me."  Sadly, this means people keep their distance, and those with disorders feel disconnected, isolated. 

On the other side of "looking fine," I think people with invisible disorders worry about misperceptions.  Dizziness from a vestibular disorder may make someone look drunk, or nauseous.  Balance Disorders, which involve more than the vestibular system (inner ear), can also create embarrassing situations.  In either case, someone may be holding on to something, or leaning against a wall.  They might be using so much energy to function that having a conversation is limited - it takes too much energy.  Something as simple as sitting with people in a room may be a lot of work.  Walking unassisted may take effort, or dealing with elevators or escalators, just to name a few possibilities.  I've been in situations where I felt awkward, felt like I needed to be careful, put effort into compensating so that nothing appeared to be wrong.  If someone's worried about how other people will react to their behavior, and they're not confident they can handle various pieces of a situation, they may just avoid doing things altogether.  Obviously this is very isolating, which feels lousy. 

I'm not happy that I have invisible disorders; sometimes I feel as if I'm now part of an odd sort of club.  In this club, there are some people who are too consumed with whatever they're dealing with to think much about others.  I've been there and I understand that.   Whether they have the energy to extend themselves to others or not, most members of this club are fairly consistently compassionate towards others.  Unfortunately, it seems to be human nature that unless you experience something, it's hard to really know how something feels.  Even if I don't have the same problem as someone else, I understand health struggles.  But I wonder if people don't stop and think enough, use their imaginations.  Because of my invisible disorders, I probably spend more time than average not doing something.  Sitting and eating without reading, listening to whatever, or watching something on a screen.  Granted, I'd like to be able to do some of or more of those things.  But I wonder how often people just sit and reflect.  I could say  it would be a good thing if everyone had a close relationship with someone who has an invisible challenge, but the truth is, most people probably do.  They just don't know that they do. 


Of course, the club isn't real, it's rather my sense of how people are divided.  You don't have to have a problem, be a part of this imagined club of mine, to expose yourself to experiences so that you know what it's like on the "other side." How hard is it, really, to stop and think, take in a person, move past the moment of noticing whatever makes you uncomfortable?  Is it really so difficult to be open to learning from whomever you encounter, just as you would from whatever experiences you have?  Some people may be rolling their eyes, and saying "that sounds so cliche."  That I'm on a "soapbox" talking about how knowing people coping with problems can make you a better person.  I'd say to them that I don't care if they're rolling their eyes, if they're also thinking a bit more, just for a moment, about how they treat other people.  The girls and I have all commented that Maisy is lucky she found us, lucky she found a family that doesn't mind the fact that she's different.  And I wonder how many families, how many people are accepting of different, of those who don't fit in perfectly.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.