September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 10th 2014 Advocacy Helps Everyone

19.  That's how many Ambassadors VEDA has now.  This includes several outside of the U.S. , and as a group there has been quite a range of activities in the few short months since the Ambassadors Board began.  People tend to think of high officials when they hear the word ambassador, but an ambassador is also a representative for something or someone.  To me, being an Ambassador for VEDA means that I'm an advocate, a voice for those with invisible disorders.  Part of that to me means being a kind of educator.  My degrees are in psychology and English literature, with a Master's in Human Service Administration, not Education.  I don't think my education was a waste of time by any means, but sometimes degrees aren't all that's needed. My thoughts and experiences are now colored by, affected by my invisible disorders, and what I learn through my therapies.   As an Ambassador, I'm sharing pieces of my journey. 

There is no shortage of info to take in, in this vast, interconnected world.  Everyone makes choices about the new information they take in, process, absorb.  I spoke to someone recently who said she doesn't follow the news, knew nothing about what happened in Ferguson (this was prior to Garner's death).  To my knowledge, she doesn't have any health or other major issues going on, so I have to admit this surprised and bothered me.  I know there are others who follow issues, whether political or social, more closely than me.  I'm sure there's plenty of news (especially due to my vision disorder) that I don't absorb, but I do try to be somewhat informed about major stories.  I care about the racism that clearly still exists in the States, as well as what appear to me to be serious problems with police and our justice system. I've had conversations with my daughters about very real problems, as well as what's good, about our school system.  I share posts on FB about these, and other issues I care about.  But in the end, there are many issues I don't personally feel qualified to write about in depth. 

Back to being a VEDA Ambassador.  I do feel qualified to write about various issues related to invisible disorders.  My own medical journey to find answers, actually living with invisible disorders, and living with someone with an invisible disorder (Ron has Bipolar Disorder 1 with Anxiety) qualify me.  I've had important conversations with FB friends, and people connected to VEDA dealing with living with invisible disorders.  I talk to my therapists, and am constantly putting more pieces together.  I learn from all of this, and be a better advocate.   Many invisible disorders are complex, and the medical community still has so much to learn.  A lot of that knowledge can come from medical training, which is important and needs to improve.  But it also needs to come from feedback from patients, the ones actually living with disorders, looking for accurate diagnoses and effective treatments. 

Education doesn't just happen in the classroom, although what happens in the classroom is really important.  I asked myself the other day what the goal of education was, and yes I looked up the word "education."  Here's the definition:

"the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.
and
the act or process of imparting or acquiring particular knowledge or skills, as for a profession."

Formal education is important, but in addition to a profession, I think a lot of the above can be applied to advocacy, trying to informally educate the public. Advocacy can create change in a variety of ways, and that creates progress.  Someone with a well-managed invisible disorder, rather than mainly needing to be taken care of, can be a functional member of their household.  That person can also contribute, even if they don't have a paying job, in their own little pocket of the world.  Despite this, there are times when I feel like advocating for people living with invisible disorders, being heard, is a strange sort of competition.  With so many issues worthy of our attention, it makes it hard to hold anyone's attention long enough to really have an impact. 

That said, I also feel that in the end advocating for change, both in attitude and in action really does pay off for everyone.  People with vestibular, balance or vision disorders (just to name a few) want not just to be heard and understood, but to be contributing members of society.  Everyone wants to have purpose, to feel valued. Enabling people to work, to be independent is sometimes complicated, requires some problem solving.  I've been listening to "Think Like a Freak: The Authors of Freakonomics Offer to Retrain Your Brain."  None of the ideas that they've presented so far sound freakish, and it is not, in my opinion, brain re-training.  It's more about thinking in a non-traditional way, getting past emotions to think clearly and logically, and figuring out how to deal with problems.   

I said that to be an Ambassador, an advocate, means to be an informal educator.  But I don't think anyone can be effective as an advocate if you leave compassion at the door, and only think in practical terms.   If you don't care, there's really no point in being an advocate.  I'll give one more definition here, for the word "compassion."

"a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering."

The phrases in this definition that got my attention were "stricken by misfortune," and "desire to alleviate suffering."  There's no question when I look back on my worst days, or comments that I've seen posted online, these words fit those with vestibular and balance disorders.  There are other invisible disorders that unquestionably also fit.  It's one thing to be bedridden for a few days with a nasty virus.  It's quite another to spend large portions of your days, for weeks, or months in bed.  Once I found the right therapy for me, when I first worked to get more mobile, I walked down my driveway.  Then I began going down my driveway, and walking one or two houses down the sidewalk.  I gradually increased, adding one or two houses every few days.  Regaining mobility had a huge impact on how I felt about my life.  I don't think about this all the time, but remembering occasionally isn't a bad thing.  It reminds me on my bad days now, to keep perspective, and it reminds me why I want to advocate for others to make progress.  A therapist once told me that people can get what she called compassion fatigue.  That if there's too much demanding emotional attention, people either tune out, or show a bad attitude. 

I have to believe, despite change coming slowly, "compassion fatigue", and all the issues demanding attention, that it's worth it.  That as a VEDA Ambassador advocating for those with invisible disorders, I do get people's attention.  I don't begrudge people speaking out about bullying, political problems, the environment and more.  And I want to be informed, so I absorb what relevant, reliable information I can, and try to learn from others. But I want to be an effective advocate, which to me means writing about, and advocating for what I know and personally experience.  People with invisible disorders, because I feel very strongly that we need a voice.  Good health is an incredible asset.  During my first year of illness, when I spent so much of my time in bed, I was keenly aware that I wasn't productive, and I hated it.   Now I want doctors and anyone who deals with people with invisible disorders to learn, pay attention, gather information that will help.  People who are suffering need to be heard, along with all the other problems in this incredibly complex world we inhabit.  If everyone who cares about something speaks out, there is a very powerful collective voice for change.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

One Response to December 10th 2014 Advocacy Helps Everyone

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.