September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

December 17th 2014 Rehab - Effort and progress

Every two to three months I have consultations with Dr. Margolis, the Developmental Optometrist who supervises my vision therapy.  He calls them Progress Reports (PR) because he wants to know what kind of progress I'm making.  I had one recently, and it got me thinking about effort and actually making progress.  Although I get good news, we also talk about what I am still struggling with in my life, as well as whatever part of therapy is difficult for me.  We talk about what needs tweaking, or changing.  I often end up with mixed feelings after these PRs.  I feel good about my progress.  But I'm also reminded of, and feel frustrated about my limitations, the things that once were simple, and now are difficult.  When I feel like this, sometimes I find myself thinking "well, what if I just said enough rehab?  What if I decided to stop?". 

Comparing myself to when I was really really sick to the present, I can see very obvious improvement.  But more subtle comparisons can be harder to see, to feel, to appreciate.  Those times when I lose sight of those subtle improvements, that's when, if I let myself, I can get discouraged.  That's also when I hear Dr. Glad's voice in my head saying "that subtle stuff, that's what rehab is really about."  It's not only about going from feeling horrible to better, meaning feeling better rather than feeling horrible.  That's important, but it's not the whole picture.  The whole picture of rehab is about the work, the effort day by day, week by week over the long haul.  Rehab is about making a choice to keep going, to keep making progress.  Ultimately even though having wonderful people to work with is crucial, it really comes down to me.  I think it's the same for whoever out there is doing rehab of some kind.  It comes down to the person DOING the rehab.  It's saying to myself "I'm making the choice to keep working, keep making an effort." 

Then I start thinking about why I do my rehab, why I make an effort.  I think about what effort really means, because rehab doesn't work, isn't successful without lots of effort.  I was really struck by the definitions I found when I looked up the word "effort."

exertion of physical or mental power

an earnest or strenuous attempt

something done by exertion or hard work

There are a few other definitions, but these seemed to fit the best.  The word "strenuous" jumped out at me, because that gives me an image of really hard, taxing work.  An image that definitely fits rehab.  But the one that really got me was "exertion of physical or mental power."  An exertion of power.  Exertion is exactly how it feels, but the other word is important - "power."  I tend to think of rehab as an activity that drains me, because it takes, in my case mostly mental, power.  But rehab also gives me a kind of power; it enables me to work through my problems, albeit very slowly.  Especially when I work to be able to do more IN rehab.   Doing more, being able to do harder, or new activities in rehab is important.  That gives me power, enables me to keep moving, keep going forward. 

It's really important for me to keep that idea of power, of being enabled, in mind right now.  This is, honestly, a difficult time of year.  There are special events for the holidays, connected to school, if you have school age kids.  There are family events, and people plan special outings.  I understand that all these things are part of life, an important part of life.  But I can't participate freely the way I want.  I have to miss out on some things, figure out what I can manage.  I attended our congregation's Sunday School Chanukah party, and our family party which we are again hosting, is coming up.  I'm glad that these are two events I can participate in.  I remember the first year I was sick I opted out of hosting our family party, and in fact did not attend it, so to be a part of that is obviously good.  Family members pitch in to make the party more manageable.  I'm getting better at asking for what I need, learning what works, and I do my best to manage whatever I have no control over.

Being in a room with a lot of other people is a challenge for me.  There's a lot of different stimulation; noise, movement, the general hub-bub of people gathered together.  If I know a decent number of people, and the location is familiar, that helps.  I try to concentrate on what I can do, as opposed to whatever is challenging.  At the same time, being aware of what is difficult helps me to manage, to cope with whatever is difficult.  Even if it's just saying to myself "OK, this is hard, and you know WHY it's hard, but you'll be OK."  When I've chosen to go to something, or do something, I go with my choice.  I don't tell myself "you shouldn't have done this/been here, you made a mistake."  I know that part of rehab is taking some calculated risks.  The benefit needs to be worth the cost.  I don't want to do something that will make me feel really bad, and will require several days of recovery.  But doing something that really tires me out, and needing a very chill day the next day is acceptable.  It's impossible for me not to think about what I used to be able to do.  It's also impossible for me not to think about how some things that once were easy, are now difficult for me to do. When I do miss out, I let myself feel sad, even angry, because I figure if I don't, I'm asking myself to be a robot, instead of a feeling human being.  I tell myself again that every small change in what I handle counts, and I make sure to note it in my progress log. 

I don't understand everything about vision or my vestibular system, but I do understand much more than I used to, and know why certain things are difficult for me.  Sometimes understanding means a problem can be solved, but for me, understanding, knowing, doesn't fix my problems.  I need to leave the figuring out what to do, the how to fix it part up to the professionals I work with.  I know that Ann and Joyce and Dr. Margolis and Dr. Glad won't give up on me.  That's a big part of why I stay in rehab, to have my team.  I also realize that the most important person in the equation is me, so I tell myself that above all, I can't give up on myself.  I have to keep making the choice, over and over and over again, to do the work.  To put in the effort at rehab, and at home, and wherever I AM able to go.  That's the only way I'll keep making progress.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.