September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

September 9, 2020 Nine years out...

 


Nine years ago this month, I got sick. I don't like to talk in any great detail about the night I got sick, because my PTSD can still manifest itself. I wake up in a state of high anxiety. The good news is that nights are better now, which is also because of the help of medication.

 

Doing vision therapy and Feldenkrais both helped me tremendously. I am currently not doing either one due to the pandemic. I no longer have the diagnosis of convergence insufficiency, but I definitely still have a vision disorder. I believe Dr. Margolis, the developmental optometrist I've worked with, calls it visual motor sensitivity. Two limitations I like to tell people because they are so easy to relate to, are that I like to tell people because they're so easy to relate to, I don't drive, and my reading is still limited.

 


I follow a migraine diet very strictly, because I have a lot of migraine food triggers. Following my diet allows me to avoid a great deal of brain fog. I still have to pace myself, which is frustrating, but my body tells me quite clearly when I am overdoing it. I remind myself that I want to try to avoid a full-blown setback. Setbacks are not fun.

 

I do my best to take care of myself, and manage our household. I'm grateful that I can take care of myself, and with help from my husband, and our daughters who are still living at home, that managing our household is possible. I remind myself that there are so many aspects of self-care and household management that have not always been within my reach.

 

I try really hard not to focus on all of the losses I have had. I have done grieving, but there comes a point when tears of sadness, frustration and anger are no longer helpful. This is not to say that I shut down, but even with losses, life does go on. I am well aware that my life could be significantly worse. Particularly in this era of Covid 19, I remind myself that I still have much to be grateful for.

 


I don't know what my future holds, if I will go back to doing any therapy, beyond the once a month touch base sessions I have with my cognitive behavioral therapist. There is just so much uncertainty. So I'm doing the best I can to keep going, do what I can, one day at a time. Sometimes in order to focus myself, I think about what I want, even just a month from now, to look back on. And yes, take it one day at a time. Do the best I can, notice anything positive, especially when it's hard. Because that's when it matters most.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.