September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

July 23rd 2016 Challenges on my mind; mold removal, and kids moving on....

To listen: copy and paste into Google Translate, click the "speaker" icon.

When the Duraclean guy came and assessed our mold situation (due to the seepage), I couldn't take it all in.  That we needed to take out portions of the interior walls of our basement, have a major mold removal done, and rebuild.  The official term is mold remediation, which apparently is the fancy term for the whole process of getting rid of mold.  Then Leena and Cara helped me clear out an area in our laundry room where we'd gotten a LOT of water - that was STILL wet - like dripping wet, and smelled FOUL!  What had we been growing?!  Blech.... we took pics of a few things, but everything had to go.   Once the space was empty, I took an old mop handle, towel, and poured bleach on the floor.   I hadn't been able to sit down, and was starting to feel it, but I needed to do SOMEthing, and cleaning seemed like the obvious thing to do. 

At one point, when  I was carrying something upstairs, and amazed I did it - maintained my balance - I think I was powered by "I've GOT to get this disgustingness OUT of my house!".  But that moment when I was staring at the floor, and the wall behind it, it hit me that there was no way we could deal with the mold ourselves, AND no way we could do nothing.  So more upheaval is on the way; more disruption, more $$$ - yup, one more big, obnoxious project to deal with, and more dealing with contractors - before we can REALLY reclaim  our basement.    

As this all sinks in, I contemplate how we've spent the summer, and that my younger daughter will be going to college (as well as her older sister) in less than a month.  I realize, unlike the basement, this is supposed to happen - my daughters moving on.  I know she will still need me, as will her sister, but change is difficult.  I'm trying to figure out how I will spend my time.  I will write, I will set up our electric piano keyboard and experiment with that - should be interesting both spatially and visually (all those black and white stripes of keys).  I'll play my flute a bit every day, and I will listen to audio books.  Hopefully I will figure out something social I can do. 


There are multiple things that people typically do when their kids are in transition, and the nest is sometimes empty, but many of them are not within my reach.  So I'll see.  I need now and always to appreciate anything I CAN do.  When I was thinking about this post, I thought "this may all sound negative, but this is what my story is, to tell.".   I've realized, as I move through my days, that my main goal really is always to keep this in mind:  that whatever challenges come my way, I'll let myself feel the difficulty of it, but also face my challenges and keep moving.  My life will never be easy, and that's just going to have to be OK.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

3 Responses to July 23rd 2016 Challenges on my mind; mold removal, and kids moving on....

  1. Hey Bud!

    Mold and mold spores can cause serious health problems and, in the case of someone with mold sensitivities, even death.

    Many people are vaguely aware of the health concerns when it comes to mold but most do not know that mold can also cause serious damage to a house or building (similar to a termite infestation.)

    When it comes to protecting your family and your home, fighting and preventing mold should be at the top of every homeowner's list.

    Keep doing the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, mold can take root in places that people cannot easily access and monitor such as on the inside of their air conditioner units in St. Tammany. Mold can grow on the coils and, when moisture enters into the picture, a small problem can become a big one quickly.Visit at more http://www.moldbustersllc.com/mold-remediation/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better to maintain the chimney real wood faraway from the particular home. Mold removal companies near me

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.