September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

July 17th 2016 Part 2 - My diary; posts from summer projects VPIP FB pg

To listen: copy and paste into Google Translate, click the "speaker" icon.

The Intro below is the same as for Part 1 - for those who want to see the beginning of this whole process, please read or listen to Part 1, dated June 18th 2016.

Introduction....

I put together all the posts I've done over the last few weeks. It's a diary of sorts, about construction, and my experience with my vestibular and vision disorders. You'll see that I did not edit the posts. My reasoning was threefold: 1) we're still unpacking, getting organized, and I didn't want to deal with the visual challenge of that much editing.
2) I thought that sharing this un-edited, less polished writing would give a better feel for how my writing reflects my experience... hopefully you'll get the flavor of what it's been like.
3) I wanted to see for myself what it was like to listen to the whole thing in one chunk, and thought I'd share it.

I was struck, when listening to my posts as one continuous narrative, the continual need to find a balance between planning, and staying in the moment, taking it one day, often one event, at a time.

Anyway, I'm posting this in two parts - pre July 4th and post July 4th.... Thanks for taking a look :-)

Part 2 ---- Summer 2016 home projects....

Hmmm.... waiting to hear from Tom (contractor) or somebody... left a message that we still need half our house back - including the laundry room.... gonna see Joyce (FT) today... trying to do my FT home therapy bc I've found if I don't, it's like missing meds, but hard to do when my cognitive processing is cluttered, fuzzy.... one day at a time... yup, keep saying that... it's Tues. right ? :-)


I want to write, but still don't have my regular set-up, so I'm doing these mini posts....
finally talked to Tom this a.m. - told him I needed regular updates, and that I knew he wouldn't understand but that this whole situation is very difficult for me bc my vestibular and vision disorders....
there are parts of the house that are normal, if you don't look under a table or dresser... there's a mound of stuff and then some in the garage, our dining room table is doubling as a computer table... any change requires adjustment on my part - whether vestibular or visual (or both).... I'm taking lots of breaks, needing a lot of sleep - telling myself that taking care of myself is important, not selfish... when I'm really tired, I just listen to music - can't deal with processing a story or narrative.

Much harder to get away from noise... even without workers here, since we're living on one floor now, if the TV is on, I often hear it (unless I'm in the bathroom ;-) ... I wonder how much adjustment there will be to the new visuals of the basement - new floor, wall paneling, and a few furniture changes... well, I'll find out... if not by the end of this week, then beginning of next week....  I can do this....


Progress... I don't have to go behind plastic to get to cabinets in the laundry room - that was very weird - and I have a washer and dryer again...
Had to ask worker to move washer - which meant talking and moving with everything in a slightly different place... different spatial and visual lines... always something new, everything is an adventure...
Plumber coming tomorrow... we'll see what gets moved back into place tomorrow...

Ironic - I remember Perma Seal asking "were you planning on remodeling your basement?"....   "Planning" would be the key word here... No... but apparently, you're going to tear up our basement, sooooo....
anyway, looks like no work will be done today... the plus side - no worker noise, the down side - another weekend of weirdness upstairs... hopefully next week we'll actually get DONE...
I know life is full of unplanned stuff... my disorders are certainly one of those, and dealing with this whole project while living with my vestibular and vision stuff is challenging... but I have no choice... when I think too far ahead - even actually to next week - it's easy to feel overloaded - so I back up and say "OK, what's happening today..."

7-12-16
so the good news is that I'm feeling a bit better, grounded, having been home for a week and doing my Feldenkrais home therapy... not doing my VT yet...
Plumber's here today.... have to contain the pets again.... poor things don't understand... but gotta keep them safe...

Day 10 at home... quiet today, no worker since it's Sun... kitchen floor looks good, but still figuring it out re vestibular/sensory issues.... really looking forward to getting my regular computer set up, and DR eating regular again... too many eye gaze switches right now (an issue re my vision disorder)... wonder if going back will be an adjustment, or just "Oh, I remember this!"....
Workers are on their way this a.m.... will everything actually get finished this week??? Here's hoping...

Hopefully several workers are gonna show up today... the plastic that covered everything is gone - a good sign.... have I mentioned I'm really ready to be done?!  I think the girls and pets are too.... I know, I know - this too shall pass.... much more definitive than my disorders...
YAY - workers are actually here! :-)

Finally had a chance to touch base with my psychologist... I do recommend having a professional to talk to occasionally - ask for a sliding scale if you have to - I think it's worth it!  He and I discussed finding positive things to occupy my mind... really important - I think of it as making sure the negative thoughts - the weeds - don't have space!

I'll be noodling around on an electric piano keyboard when our basement is finally done... and thinking about posting vids here of me doing a bit of playing.... gotta think about this... challenges that actually feel positive!
We had to empty out most of our basement... some of it's in mounds in the middle of two rooms, and a lot is in our garage.... still is... SO tired of this... our contractor was apparently in the ER today... so waiting to hear what's up... he's a lousy communicator... UGH!

ugh, so ready for this whole thing to be OVER.... contractor didn't show up and texted Ron that he was in the ER all day... so NOW what.... UGH... this is the fourth week of this....

I've learned that any change, anything new - whether large or small, or subtle - challenges me on a vestibular and/or visual level...  and there are limits to how much I can deal with, without feeling it, so when I can, I have to limit exposure to anything that's a challenge, even if it's a known challenge ....

It occurred to me that I have no control over what's going on with our contractor, and no choice about dealing with the consequences - at least none I'm aware of right now - so I have to deal with this... one way or another, we'll be done, and in the meantime, I need to do what I can to maintain my health....

On a positive note, Tom (contractor) texted us re his new injury, and assured us that workers are on the way today, and are aware that we need to get the job done... here's hoping it will happen today!

7-16-16
We managed to do enough to make it pet friendly in our basement... course we'll see what they discover anyway - since I can't THINK like a cat or dog :-)....
Our basement keeps changing as we slowly unpack and organize, so my brain constantly is figuring out new stuff... I'm definitely going thru adjustment...  Makes for very interesting and weird dreams - so strange how we rehash and process stuff in our sleep...
think we're gonna hire a prof. cleaning company to deal with the mold... yuck... sigh.... necessary... there's a couple rooms in particular that definitely need it... hopefully by the end of next week we'll be moved in.. we'll see... what a production!

7-17-16
Slowly putting things in order, in bits and pieces.... e-mailed Tom about a few loose ends...



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.