September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

January 31st 2016 Neurological change - do the work, let it unfold....

To listen: Cut and paste into Google Translate, click on the "speaker" icon.

Change.  That word conjures up so many emotions in me.  I thought about this the other day when I was standing in my kitchen waiting for my teapot to boil.  Waiting and change go hand in hand, and I think it's safe to say that no one likes to wait.  If you're waiting for something good to happen, you want to hurry up to get to it, and then you want the good thing to last.  For things that you're not looking forward to, you might feel the opposite.  Thinking about change and waiting made me think about rehab; the VT and FT I do.


My life changed when I got sick in 2011.  Since then I've been working, first to find out what was wrong with me, then to get the right treatment, and then - and still - to improve as much as possible.  Change of any kind can be hard, but I think working for emotional or neurological change probably tops the difficulty scale. Doing rehab is a way of trying to exert some control, trying to make change happen that you actually want.  It's safe to say that anyone - not just me - who does neurological rehab learns a lot about change in (I think) a rather unique experiential way.  The rehab itself may not be scary, but the unknown of where you/I will end up can feel that way.  Doing rehab feels very challenging, and puts me in unchartered territory, which feels uncomfortable.  Working on neurological change - brain retraining - and waiting for the positive changes, the results, to make themselves known is very hard. 



I'd like my life to be easier; who really chooses a difficult path?  I want to improve, but the unknowns of the road I'm traveling make me uncomfortable.  Then I thought about what it would be like if rehab changes DID happen quickly.  I realized that - certainly for me, and I suspect for others as well - my system would get overwhelmed.  My brain has to have time to absorb new info, and reorganize.  If there was too much, too fast, instead of reorganization, I'd end up with a mess.  So I need to treat myself gently, extend the same kindness and compassion towards this one body I have, that I would to someone else.


My mother e-mailed me recently that she thought I was brave.  I was touched, but I don't think of myself as brave.  But it occurred to me that people who are brave aren't behaving bravely because they say to themselves "I'm going to be brave."  Most real bravery isn't something people think about; it's simple action.  It means doing things - often involving change - because you feel no other choice is acceptable.  It may be something as simple as getting up, and facing your day.  It may mean moving through and dealing with difficult challenges, even if part of you really doesn't want to.   


Years ago, when I was first learning how to play the flute, I remember when I finally was able to play Edelweiss, a song I love.  I don't remember all these years later, all the practicing.  I just remember being able to play the song - and since then I've played it probably hundreds of times.  To put it in really basic terms, babies don't suddenly stand up one day and walk into toddler-hood.  I want the changes that *I* choose to make happen, to happen in the way, and with the speed that I want.  Not in such incremental bits that the changes are hard to even notice.  But just like with learning to play Edelweiss, I have to believe that just because the changes are incremental, sometimes barely detectable, doesn't mean good change isn't happening. 

Vestibular info - Vestibular Disorders Association - www.vestibular.org
Functional Vision Problems - College of Vision Development - www.covd.org


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to January 31st 2016 Neurological change - do the work, let it unfold....

  1. I appreciate you sharing this. My mother went through a similar challenge and I went to live with her during the time. It is amazing what personal interaction can do to a person's spirit and energy levels. When I first got there she was weak and exhausted and then we made the decision to just make everything fun for us.

    Jeffery @ New Dawn Treatment Centers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing - Good for you for deciding that!

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.