September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

January 15th 2016 Some thoughts I try to hold onto, and live by....

NOTE: Please copy and paste into Google Translate to listen if needed.

With one daughter in college, and my younger one going next Fall, it's hard to express how much I wish my progress wasn't so gradual, so slow.  If I could go faster, I'd have a better sense of where I'd be in the Fall, and that my life would be more full.  But what I do now, one day at a time, is all I know and have control over.  In light of that, I've thought about some words, concepts, and what they really mean to me.  Here's a handful that are simple, but important nuggets, that I find as time goes on I try to hold on to.
 
Never give up... ever...
Saying these words is easy, sometimes living them is not.  Giving up is really the same thing to me as giving in, saying "OK, I'm done."  It's saying "I've had enough, I quit."  There are times when I feel that way.  I'm just tired to death of how hard it is, how frustrating, slow, etc. But staying put with what I'm dealing with feels worse, so I can't give up.  It's that simple.   I've talked a lot about taking one day at a time, and I DO believe in trying to do that.  But taking one day at a time doesn't preclude trying to keep some forward motion.

Never stop trying...
This ties into never giving up, but to me is taking it to the next level.  If I'm never going to give up, that means I have to keep trying.  No matter how hard it is, I have to keep trying.  No matter how many re-dos or "let's try that again"  times there are.  Trying is about effort.

Effort - that's the next thing...
Effort matters.  Always.  Even if I feel like something took a lot more work than I would like, if I can say "well, I did it, so I get an "A" for effort," that counts for a lot.  I hate when I feel depleted from something I did, but the point is that I put out the effort.  There ARE times when I decide that the work, the effort involved in doing something would be too much.  Sometimes there are just too many pieces to figure out, so then I have to concentrate on where I AM putting out effort.

Figure it out...
I've thought about this a lot.  If there's something I really, really want to be able to do - teaching flute comes to mind - then the question becomes "how?".  If something didn't work before, or isn't working now, how can I break it down enough so that it will eventually work?  I need to figure that out, no matter how basic a level it may be. 

Baby steps...
My friend Michele replied to a pm of mine recently with those words, and it was a good reminder.  Baby steps matter.  There are small things I've had to reintegrate - and some I'm still working on - and those baby steps are crucial building blocks. 

Don't take anything for granted...
Sometimes when I'm in the kitchen, or doing laundry or some other ordinary task, I have to remember that it's good that I can do it. 

When it comes to pacing, it's all relative...
The piece I wrote back in September about pacing has been read more than any other.  When I spoke recently to Dr. Margolis (my doctor who supervises my VT), he said he hears about this a lot, regardless of the age of the patient.  And that it's very individual.  It's hard to express in words how much I wish, at times, that my pacing was what I guess I'd call in the "normal, healthy" range.  But it's not.  There are still moments when the "abnormal" of it hits me - when I take a break at home, and my daughter or husband keep going about their business.  I've come to realize I have to just let those moments be.  But then I try to remind myself "OK, everyone has to pace themselves to a degree." 

Give myself credit....
Along the lines of "it's all relative," I need to give myself credit for what I do accomplish.  Step outside myself and say "hey, look at what you DID do."  I have a feeling I'm not alone in being too self-critical.  If what once was easy no longer is, then I've got to give myself credit where I can.  Period.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.