September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

October 20th 2015 Pets; being around animals is a good thing

NOTE: Please copy and paste into Google Translate to listen if needed.


I've always loved pets.  We got our first cat, Goldy, when my daughters were about five and three years old.  We got our dog Cosmo when our daughters were about 12 and ten years old.  When we had to put our cat Goldy down, a year ago last June, I knew I wanted to get another cat.  We now have Maisy, who is about two years old. We've never had any serious behavior issues with Maisy or Cosmo (nor did we with Goldy), and although they still haven't figured out how to play together, they're quite peaceful together.  Occasionally I think there's a bit of sibling rivalry if one is getting attention, but it's never been a major issue.



I truly believe having a loving little animal in your life makes it better, and if you're not a cat OR dog person, I think having some kind of pet is still a good thing.  However, if you are not in a position - whether because of finances, the rules where you live, your health, or whatever - to take proper care of a cat or dog, I DON'T think owning one is a good idea.  Being a pet owner is a big responsibility - not as much as a child - but a responsibility nonetheless.  If you want to be around pets, and can't own one, visit a shelter.  The animals are ALWAYS happy to get attention - though you should make sure you know the rules of the shelter you visit.  You can also have a friend come over with their pet, or if that's not possible, go to them.  I've heard wonderful things about how therapeutic horses can be, so visiting a stable is also something to think about.

Having pets is even more important to me now that I have my invisible disorders.  I love to watch them.  Cosmo is a sweet, good natured 20 lb schnoodle (schnauzer and poodle) who would never be able to be a true therapy dog.  He gets much too excited when he has the chance to meet someone new, but a therapy dog was never the goal.  I love the typical dog stuff - the wonderful hello when we get home, the dog smiles (yes, dogs definitely smile) when he's happy, the curving body when he's getting attention.  I love watching him wriggle on his back with his legs in the air, rub his sides against our couch - he LOVES to do that - and the goofy way he rubs his ears on the floor after I put ear cleaner into them! 

Maisy is equally adorable.  She's fun to watch doing goofy things, like when she rolls over on her back, and then back over again just like a baby figuring out about her body.  She likes to have her tummy rubbed, and of course her head and ears.  Just like a toddler, we have to make sure she doesn't get herself into any serious trouble, and it's funny when I lie on my stomach doing what I call my "sphinx" Feldenkrais exercise, and she rubs against my head.  I don't think it matters at all to her that it's my head rather than my legs, and it's adorable - even though I can end up with a face full of fur.  She's completely cute and entertaining to watch doing typical cat stuff, like chasing imaginary monsters, hunting a stray leaf or one of her cat toys.

When I watch Maisy and Cosmo, I notice how easily they move their bodies, and wonder why we humans are so good at doing things that don't work well for us.  Unlike humans, cats and dogs don't seem to develop bad habits with their bodies - they are able to hold onto doing what works for them without even thinking about it.  I know that dogs (and I think cats as well) can develop balance problems, and of course other health problems, just like humans.  And it's true that occasionally a cat or dog misses their mark with a movement, but it doesn't seem to bother them.  Far more often than humans, a cat or dog will right themselves, and keep on moving uninjured.

I get very frustrated sometimes; I want to be able to improve faster, and not have to deal with all the management and coping stuff I've written about.  I want my improvement to be a consistent, straight, upward slope.  But no matter how much I want that, I know it's not going to happen.  Long term rehab just doesn't work that way.  When I'm feeling down or stressed, caught up in this emotional mess, a snuggle with Maisy or Cosmo is guaranteed to make me feel better.  It's just - for me anyway - an instant stress reducer to feel those warm, soft little bodies.  They are my babies, regardless of how old they are, and they make me feel better. 

Maisy and Cosmo also remind me to be present.  Dogs and cats don't think about what's going to happen in an hour.  Cats are a bit more contemplative, and both animals get to know routines, but it's very different than how humans plan.  Personally, I think being a bit more cat or dog like wouldn't hurt most of us.  That's one reason being with them is a stress reducer for me - I'm just there, with them, and that's it. 


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

One Response to October 20th 2015 Pets; being around animals is a good thing

  1. I dont' know why you're posting these comments on all my posts... pls stop... thnx

    ReplyDelete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.