September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

February 10th 2016 Pieces and parts of my neurological rehab....

To Listen: Cut and paste into Google Translate, click on the speak icon. 

My daughter Cara saw me doing a VT exercise once, and asked me "how much can doing an exercise for 20 seconds do,?" and "shouldn't I try to do it for longer?"  The short answers are "a lot," and "yes."  The long answer involves 1) correctly titrated exercises, 2) flexibility, 3) stamina, and 4) integration. 

My main focus here is my vision therapy (VT), but I will talk a bit in part four about my Feldenkrais Therapy (FT), which is also key towards my improvement.  My diagnosis is Convergence Insufficiency with an impaired VOR, but those two systems are complex, involving multiple skills. 

Part 1 Correctly titrated exercises, and flexibility

The goal of VT is to retrain the neurological messages going to and from my brain, in the complex system of vision.   Convergence Insufficiency, a term I've used a lot, means that your eyes don't converge (work as a team) well enough (sufficiently). Since my diagnosis is CI, my VT teaches my eye muscles to get into the correct position, to work correctly as a team.  Getting this coordination right is really important because I want the messages going to my brain from each eye to work together properly.  It's very confusing if the info my brain gets doesn't go together well, because then my comprehension and processing gets compromised.  My MAV makes me very sensitive to light and noise, so my exercises are not only titrated for my particular vision Dx, but also so that my sensory system as a whole does not get overloaded. 

Part 2 Flexibility

Flexibility is another word that people are familiar with, but this brings to mind being able to stretch really well; touching your toes, etc.  For me, flexibility is about being able to shift gears - for example, looking at something close up, and then far away, or converging my eyes muscles and then relaxing  or diverging them - without having a problem.  There are SO many eye gaze shifts that people do all the time without thinking about it, so building up flexibility to be able to shift without fatigue is really important.  Eye gaze shifting is just one example - there are many ways in which we need to be flexible with our vision.

Part 3 Stamina

Stamina is definitely important. If I want to read a page in a book, or a page of sheet music, my eyes have to converge for more than 20 seconds at a time.  One big difference for me between Vision Therapy, and a physical exercise like push-ups, is that I'm not trying to build up muscle strength.  It's not only the amount of time I do a particular exercise that builds stamina; repetition helps build stamina.  I think the better coordinated my eye muscles are, the more easily my muscles will get into the correct positions, and the longer I'll be able to sustain a particular activity.  In terms of how my exercises are structured, research has shown that doing frequent small bits of brain retraining is better than doing long stretches.  This is why even during a VT session with Ann, or an FT session with Joyce, I take short breaks as needed, and why I do a total of four mini sessions at home (doing both VT and FT) - rather than one long one - throughout my day.

Part 4 - Integration

Integration, a word used a lot in neurological rehab, is a key concept.   Integration is really about living, about being able to do things without having to think about every part of what you're doing.  If you can't integrate different sensory input, various activities, and thus aspects of your life, become compromised.  If you have to put too much attention into, for example, standing while you are loading a dishwasher, washing a pot at the sink or taking clothing out of a dryer, that's a problem.  Having the attention and energy for the other elements becomes difficult.  Integration comes up for me for more focal activities as well, due to my vision disorder.  If I have to spend too much effort on converging or diverging, there isn't a lot left for comprehension.  For example, integration allows for literal tracking a line of words or music, knowing where you are in space,  AND comprehension. 

In order to work on more than one thing, and thus integration, I do a variety of VT and FT exercises.   My FT is very important for integration work, to build up skills on a neural muscular level, to replace habits that don't function well for me with habits that DO.  Doing exercises myself, while Joyce guides me, is different than when she does more of the work - it's different brain processing.  Making subtle changes in how I do something is also an important way for my brain to learn, to be retrained.  I need - and am fortunate to be able to do - both therapies, to pull it all together.  Integrating all of the pieces and parts is really important. 

www.covd.org  College of Vision Development



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.