September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

February 25th 2017 Cats, and me...

I've been thinking about cats and dogs lately.  Specifically watching my cat and dog.  I have no hope of being like a dog - so completely in the moment - but what about a cat?

Cats are in the moment as well.  Maisy - my cat - likes her night time snack of canned food; she waits for it, trots down the hall and happily eats.  At that moment, that's where her mind is.  Or she basks in a sunny spot, then licks a paw, spends some time chasing imaginary who-knows-what, and goes back to napping.  But she's also contemplative - she's a character, but also has her thoughtful, cat-like moments.  "Hmmm, should I jump on her lap for an ear/head rub?"  She needs to be in the mood for a good ear rub - which she LOVES - or has no interest whatsoever in attention.

So what about me? I am contemplative as well, but I'm definitely a "doer." 

Work - I haven't ruled out teaching (very part-time) flute lessons at some point.  But paid employment is not in my future, beyond that.

Social/political activist - To go just a bit political for a moment, I didn't vote for our current president - which was NOT simply due to partisan reasons - but I'm not going to go the social/political activist route.  No protests, marches, e-mailing, phone calling, attending Town Hall meetings - nope.  I need to leave that to my more able bodied friends.

Possible public speaking re health issues - perhaps someday, but there would be a lot of challenges for me, so definitely not now.

Music - I'd love to play with other musicians.  Hopefully someday, but realistically not any time soon.

Health activist - I write my blog - obviously - but wish I could do more.  I don't make videos (though hopefully will post another flute recording eventually), but rather rely on what's available on YT.  I post the WHO petition occasionally, which is something, but again wish I could do more.  I'm hoping to help VEDA with the Dizzy Dash project - we'll see how that goes.

So honestly, this leaves me frustrated.  And I think of two things -

Social - I'm a fairly social creature.  I like, and have always needed downtime, but I also need people time.  This is much trickier now than it used to be, due to my limitations.

Thinking time - yes, I need thinking time.  I like having time to think.  Even when I was healthy, I didn't like running around busy from one minute to the next.  It's important for me to have time to figure out what's difficult or challenging about participating on FB, or writing my blog posts, or  doing a household chore.  But thinking, and thinking some more stops being helpful. I have more than enough time now. 

I always try to problem solve, so...

Meditating - I said, I've been thinking about Maisy. That maybe I need to try to learn to, at least figuratively, bask in a sunny spot and NOT think.  Just exist, just be.  Since I'm NOT a cat, meditating might be the way to go.  I know there's a lot of research indicating the benefits of meditating.  I've been told that the key is to bring yourself back after your mind has wandered - that bringing back part, discipline of mindfulness - is what meditating is about.

Taking pleasure in small things, moments.  I'm not as good as I'd like to be at taking pleasure in really small stuff.  But maybe I need to get better at that.  And take my small moments of happiness, or at the very least feeling good, instead of how I wish things were. 

What I AM able to get done is good enough, for me.  I need to reconcile myself to not getting as much done.  Certainly not the way others - and I - USED to think about getting things done.  Adjust my expectations to recognize that what I've done during a day counts, for me.  I realized only recently that deep inside, I think I still measure myself by that "what did you get done today" yardstick.  This is really unfair to myself, given my vestibular and vision disorders. 

For me, being more like a cat - thoughtful, but also in the moment - isn't so easy, but I think I might be more at peace.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.