September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

January 9th, 2019 Feldenkrais - neurological rehab is powerful




My Feldenkrais work with Joyce, is important, & I'm constantly learning from it, so I thought I'd share some of what I've learned -

the fundamental idea of Feldenkrais is that improved movement - flow as opposed to rigidity, stiffness- allows for improved balance

if movement hurts, do less, & build up gradually

if your symptoms (headache, dizziness, etc.) were too much, do less of the activity, but still try - something I need to keep reminding myself. Still might not work, but try,

everything is connected, so try moving something close to what's not moving, &/or hurts - I recently did a pelvic exercise & it helped my head

one side learns from the other side... do something with the arm, leg, hand, etc. that's moving more easily - neurologically, your brain will transfer the info to the other side

think really small movements - it's easier to notice subtle differences, & when it comes to balance, subtle matters

do things in a neutral position, that gets you out of your habit - try lying down... I've noticed what muscles move when I do something as simple as putting on hand lotion, when I do it lying down...

You can experiment with movements when lying down, because it lessens the vestibular load

if you're sitting, improve your posture by sitting up from your lower back/pelvis - your shoulders will naturally follow, as will your head, & your gaze, & your breathing (opens your chest slightly) - & breathing is SO important!

Some of these concepts apply to vision and cognitive behavioral therapy as well. 

Neurologically everything is connected!

If you think Feldenkrais would be helpful for you, give it a shot.

My friend Leora, who first told me about Joyce, told me something that has stayed with me "even if it doesn't feel like she's doing much, she is - this stuff is powerful..." words to live by for ANY neurological rehab.

This is a link to Norman Doidge's fascinating book, which has a great chapter on Feldenkrais -



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.