September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

August 31st, 2018 It's been, and continues to be, quite a journey...


September - September starts tomorrow... That's the month I got sick 7 years ago... I feel a prick of fear, and remind myself that I've lived through 6 Septembers without a health crisis... I've ALSO survived literally falling down, as well as setbacks both large and small and in between.

Time - I feel like it's time for me to stop thinking so much about EXACTLY how long it's been since I got sick... What really matters is what's happening NOW, trying to live and enjoy in the present, AND trying to keep moving forward.

My story - I remind myself more and more not to compare myself to others - this is my story... I might relate to something that someone else is going through, we may share some similarities, but ultimately my story is uniquely my own.

Challenges and learning - I still have a lot of challenges to deal with, and no way to know how far I will get, but I'll keep trying to figure things out... It is truly amazing to me how much I have learned, and continue to learn, about my neurological self.

My team - I had NO idea when I got sick that it would take 5 people (in the order they first came on the scene) to help me - an OT/ Feldenkrais practitioner (Joyce), a vision therapist (Ann) and her supervising developmental optometrist (and my doctor, Dr. Margolis), a psychiatrist (Dr. Mirsky), and a CBT/mental health therapist (Christina). 

Connecting - I'm grateful my friend Leora told me about Joyce, who in turn told me about Dr. Margolis.  I figured out I needed to work with a psychiatrist, and Ron helped me find one, Dr. Mirsky recommended cognitive behavioral therapy, and Ron discovered the anxiety treatment center where I got matched up by Jen with Christina.
  
Myself - I've discovered I have strength and courage inside myself that I never would have guessed existed... I'm also resourceful, creative, kind, smart, and I'm realizing that especially with the rehab, I'm definitely a work in progress ... What a journey it's been, and continues to be.



Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.