September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

August 3rd 2016 Priorities, goals; what REALLY is important to me now...

When I get up in the morning, part of my routine is to go into Cara's bedroom, and open her curtains and blinds.  Often, in the summer, she's not awake yet, but I do it anyway.  She expects it.  These days I think about all the days ahead when that won't be necessary, because she won't be here, to have closed them the night before.  It's amazing to me how fleeting time can feel.
I looked at the calendar the other day, and thought "wow, it's August already!", and then yes, I thought again about Cara leaving for college in a few weeks, and her sister leaving only a few days later.  I'm caught between "Oh my goodness!", and thinking "yes, and the days will keep going, and eventually they'll be home for a holiday or a break...  It's transition time...  that's life".  Time passing can be strange - psychological time and REAL time can get funky.

All this leads me to think about exactly how I spend my time, which in turn leads me to think about my priorities.  How I use my energy, as opposed to purely using my time.  I remember the first time I saw Dr. Margolis (my Developmental Optometrist who supervises my vision therapy), I told him that I wanted to drive again.  Driving is a very complex activity when it comes to vestibular and vision disorders.  Driving is much lower on my list now.  Yes, it's a pain to make arrangements, but I've gotten used to it.  As time has passed, what has become MUCH more important to me is to be able to actually DO something once I get somewhere.  THAT is something worth working on.

Going someplace - say, to a social event - is a big deal for me.  I struggle with my social life.  I don't say that asking for pity, but rather because it's a reality.  I know I'm not the only one who has this struggle, but it's still mine, and has no easy answers.  In addition to social life, what other large goals do I have?  I remember a year ago, when Leena went off the college, I really wanted to make things happen, and tried too hard, too fast to get on the path to teaching private flute lessons again.  I ended up setting myself back, needing to regroup, recover, figure things out.  I don't want that to happen again.  So I'm thinking about what I've learned, and where I go from here. 

I've confirmed that having a predictable home environment - or at least relatively predictable - is really important in order for me to be able to function.  I've written about the importance of routines, and of having a stable physical space at home.  This summer I learned how much energy it takes away from being able to do other things, to be able to THINK clearly, if I have to work hard in my own home.  Challenges are good, but only doable when there is, to pardon the pun, balance.  When everything turns into a challenge, I become overwhelmed and overloaded.  So what does all this mean for me? 

I'm approaching the concept of goals a bit differently this year.  I want my larger goals to flow a bit more naturally, to kind of see where things go.  I think it's fair to say that my disorders have made me winnow down to what is really important to me.  I said earlier in this post that I think carefully about how I use my energy.  This isn't just for big things, like being able to do an outing.  It's about how I spend my time on the computer, since that's a demanding visual activity.  When I ask myself "what do I want?  what do I need?", here's what I've come up with: 

1) Being productive - it's really important for me to feel like I'm contributing.  I have to be creative about this, but two things that come to mind are writing my blog, and being an Ambassador for the Vestibular Disorders Assn. 

2) Keeping my mind busy.  It's REALLY important to have things to think about, particularly about things in the world around me.  Rumination about my own circumstances can go negative, and that does me no good.

3) Making progress. I have to keep up my motivation to do my home therapy not just to feel functional, but to try to move forward, regardless of how slowly.  I want, and need, to take my life one day at a time, but  making progress means that big, long term goals like teaching flute are still a possibility.  So yup, I need to find balance between here and now, and progress.

4) Staying connected to others.  This is HUGE.  Doing what I can to interact with others on FB on a daily basis makes a difference, makes me feel less isolated. Going to an occasional social event if/when possible, and talking on the phone with someone when possible are also valuable.  None of this is easy for me, but it's incredibly important. 


All of this makes me feel like I have a life, that I am not just my invisible disorders.  None of us are only our invisible disorders.  

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to August 3rd 2016 Priorities, goals; what REALLY is important to me now...

  1. Nice to read that I am not alone in this world. Routines are very important for me including Adjustable Routines. Is your Vision Therapy for vertigo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gray Buffalo - My VT isn't really for one specific symptom - the symptom that my vision disorder causes depends on what I'm doing... vision is really integral to balance, bc balance comes from inner ear, vision, and the brain... if you look at About Me you'll see links to some articles re my 2 therapies... also feel free to look at "vision is so much more than 20/20..." hope this helps!

      Delete

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.