September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

February 17th, 2019 What's helpful, what's honest




I've learned this week that doing 2 things in 1 day is doable, but not something I want to do with regularity.

I have to limit screen time - both computer & iPhone.

I've learned that my irritable bowel syndrome (IBS - diagnosed 6/17 by my gastroenterologist, & apparently a common combination with migraine associated vertigo - MAV), is still a thing when overload happens. Yes, I have meds for it, & I know what's going on, but it's still another piece of my health package.

I still have a vision disorder, & cognitive processing (I wrote about this at some length in a piece posted 6-4-16) is still an issue.  Understanding what I read - unless it's my own writing - is very difficult when there's any complexity.

Christina (CBT) & I talked about how demanding PTSD Anxiety is - always wanting more & more - as if what you/I have is never enough. It's incredibly easy, especially since rehab is about making progress, to fall into this.

Not that making progress is undesirable - I still plan to use my Brock string on reasonably good days.  I'm still interested in seeing if some kind of prism in my reading/near glasses would be helpful.

People like to use the word limitations, challenges.  I think sometimes the word disabled is appropriate.  I want to be honest with myself, which means that I will keep trying, but also acknowledge that my life has changed.  I want to stop trying to be, get back, the way I used to be - that's part of the "more, more, more," & isn't helpful.

I've talked about my therapies ultimately becoming support/maintenance, but I don't know what that will look like, as I go thru changes not just neurologically, but in my life in general. Brains - people - are SO complex. I think my medical team has, & will continue to learn, on this journey of mine.


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.