September 9, 2021 - One decade... be present.

It’s been a decade since I got sick. I didn’t know then, that night, that my life was dramatically changed. I’ve done therapies, and they’ve...

July 27th, 2018 Time for a positive shift...


I was posting something positive on my Visible Person, Invisible Problem FB page - the public page I have for this blog - and I had an "Uh oh" feeling... I realized this has happened before, and the thought that floated through my head was
"wait, if I post positive stuff, will people think my life's easy? will they understand what it's like living with my disorders?". 

I had a hunch I was onto something, and my next thought was - 
"well, the name of the page is Visible Person, Invisible Problem, and my pic shows me with my tinted glasses...". 
Then I thought "actually, people don't really fully get what they don't experience..." - this used to really frustrate me, but I now realize we're ALL that way... we can try to imagine, empathize, but it's not the same thing as living an experience, and that's OK.

I felt like there was more going on, and here's what came next - "is this really about other people, or me? My PTSD Anxiety throws in the negative thinking, saying "hold up, you can't try stuff, you can't focus on anything positive, that's risky... nope, I'm gonna rain on your parade...".

But really?? I mean, it's been nearly 7 years since I got sick, so exactly WHEN am I supposed to let myself have a good moment?  I realized I've gotten used to, familiar with feeling bad, so feeling good, positive feels oddly strange... in fact, writing and posting this piece, showed me just how ingrained my negative thinking has become.

I can ALWAYS  find frustrations and challenges if I look, but it's time for a different perspective - so I thought "OK PTSD Anxiety, here's the deal - I have loved ones who have Bipolar Disorder, and Anxiety, and I know now that I have you, just like I have vestibular and vision disorders".

I've said to myself "they have a mental illness, but it's not who they are"... I want to take that approach with MYSELF... there has to be more to life than feeling bad about stuff so much... it's time for a paradigm shift in thinking - time to choose, REALLY choose positive. 

Thinking this way feels hard - I've gotten very used to, in recent years,  feeling bad.... taking credit, noticing, FEELING the positive is challenging, oddly scary and uncomfortable. It's change... I want to get used to this choice.  I want to give my brain, my neurological self positive vibes... bit by bit, I need positivity to grow.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

© 2014 - 2019 Tamar Schwartz, Visible Person Invisible Problem (VPIP). Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.